Haying

/ Haying
Re: Haying (Hobby)

Fred,
100 bales is about how long they are good before you have to work on them. Balers are the most tempermental beast in the world!!! Mine started breaking flywheel pins after about an hours work. Flywheel was too tight from the factory and one of the bushings had fallen off. It is a constant job to keep them working if they are brand new or 30 years old. They will last a long time but you are always working on them.

18-35034-TRACTO~1.GIF

/ Haying #42  

100 bales? You must have a really good one. I think there was only one day that I baled over 100 without stopping to fix or adjust something./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif And that was using an almost new baler./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif I think everyone I know who has a baler spends as much or more time maintaining or repairing it as they do running it. If anyone ever invents one that'll run all summer with no repairs he ought to make a fortune./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Bird

/ Haying

Bird,
That was 100 bales on the brand new baler that I just bought!!! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

18-35034-TRACTO~1.GIF

/ Haying #44  

Hi ya's
funny thing my grandfather had a old B45 inter baler missed the first bale and snaped the shear bolt with out fail each year (rust on plunger stop)after that it never missed a beat.the guy i worked for had a newer NH and used to give me heaps bout this old baler and tractor (IH B250) but end of day 1 broken bale out of 500 V's 50 odd out of 1000 i know what baler i'd still like to have
catch ya
JD Kid

/ Haying #45  

wow! That sounds like a great investment!

Anybody reading this thread should have their head examined
for even thinking about haying for profit.
But then again it sure bets driving a desk.

You know if you buy a new baler then you can use it as a good excuse to convince the CFO that you need a complete set of new tools just to keep it runnning so you can make all that money on hay!/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Haying #46  

Hi ya
frist what is a CFO??? ok yea it was a good baler but long gone i'm looking at hay gear as we type,, a disc mower 7 disc kuhn (?) and a claas65 baler with grab and bale accumulator just got to find a good rake that i can tow with a 4x4 (if windy i can get someone to rake just infront of baler)alup cost 16000 kiwi bucks (give or take)now if there was someone doing baling close then i may not have even though about buying but where we live we are poorly serviced by contractors with most people buying in each year with high carting costs ie 4.50-6.00 per bale ex farm and 1.50-2.00 carting (kiwi bucks cut in 1/2 for rough USD's)also haveing hay gear we could sell stuff to people next door etc etc .another point about haveing ya own gear is "you"control what happens getting time off work maybe the hard part tho but if ya got time on ya hands or can catch up lost work (ie work over time or weekends) only thing is a lot of small tractors now are getting to light to tow balers the B250 my grandfather had was running 7.50-16 front and 12.8-24 on the back (same as MF 35)and i would not want to go much smaller
catch ya
JD Kid

/ Haying #47  

CFO = Chief Financial Officer (usually "wife")/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Bird

/ Haying #48  

Bird your a wise man.

Jdkid:
You do bring up a good issue and that is HP / tractor size. How much do you think it takes to run a small hay operation?
Clearly 20Hp won't do. But how much is realistic?

I figure 60pto HP for a round baler and a little less for a sqaure baler. Something on the order of a TN75 or a M6800 is probably about right. (or what ever is the JD eqiuvalent).

Fred

/ Haying

Fred,
I can run my square baler on the 4600 although it does bounce it around a little. It has a category 4 hitch though! As far as round balers you have two things you need to consider. #1 is the hydraulics. That vermeer needs a minimum of 25 gpm for hydraulics and 90 hp tractor. JD makes a 750 lb. bale round baler that you can run with a 45 hp utility tractor though. To do big bales though I would say you would need at least a 90 hp tractor.

18-35034-TRACTO~1.GIF

/ Haying #50  

Fred, I thing Cowboydoc has about defined what's needed. I know of one guy doing some hay baling with an M6800 and most of what I did with a neighbor was using an 85hp Oliver, but most of the hay baling I see done around here is being done with tractors in the 100-120hp range. However, I don't personally know any of the few people with square balers; just the round balers.

Bird