Hay Spears

/ Hay Spears #41  
I posted earlier that I bought 2 titans last year for my dad. front QA one with one long spear and 2 short. Also got one for the back 3 pt. they worked good.

/ Hay Spears
Thank you, I went to their website because of the suggestions to use Titan and now that it's here, I'm very pleased and appreciative of the advice. I ordered it over the weekend, I got an email Monday morning saying it had been shipped out, and Wednesday afternoon, Fed Ex Ground delivered it in two boxes. It went together easily, and I found it to be extremely simple to use. The two spears made it very stable and I felt confident right from the beginning. Definitely the best $295 I've spent in a very long time!!!!

11951923_10207738773810029_3454168589676483480_n.jpg

11885371_10207738775050060_4483264958558501063_n.jpg

/ Hay Spears #43  
Any problem with the bale moving instead of the spears going all the way in?

/ Hay Spears
None. The spears slide in easily and the bale is rock solid. The guy who loaded my trailer had the more traditional spear with one big one and two little ones. When he lifted them and turned, I saw the bale moving on him, but nothing severe, just a lot more then what I'm seeing with this one.

/ Hay Spears #45  
I can definitely see the advantage of two large spears.

/ Hay Spears #47  
Is that a fuel tank for your tractor?

The gas tank on my JD 5045D is behind the seat, high and hard to access.

Looks like a herbicide spray tank?

/ Hay Spears
Are you asking me that question or somebody else? The fuel tank on the backhoe is between the front tire and the back tire. The hydraulic reservoir looks the same and it's on the other side.

/ Hay Spears #49  
Are there any disadvantages of a dual spear where a single is more advantageous? I can't think of any

The only possible disadvantages I can think of are:
1. The long spikes take up more room to park and maneuver.
2. Two spikes will always offer more resistance entering the bale than one, it’s just physics. Whether that causes issues for the user depends mostly on the bales themselves. Lighter bales are obviously more troublesome, as are soft core bales. A 4’x4’ soft core bale is a major PITA to pick up with anything other than forks.