Having a pole building built

/ Having a pole building built #1  

smfcpacfp

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030HSDC
I asked my friends this question before I had my garage rebuilt and got some good information. This forum provides a lot more potential good advice.

I am going to have a pole building built (30' by 48' by 13' 4" (eave) with a concrete floor). I plan to have a heated workshop in a portion of it 15' by 20'. I know what doors I want. I was just wondering, if based upon your experience, that you wish you done something differently either in building it, or in contract specifications with the builder.

/ Having a pole building built #2  
I am "down South" but were I in your climate I'd be adding PEX tubing to the slab for radiant heating. Even if the rest of the system not in the original/startup budget, you only get 1 chance to do it.

IMHO, our winter climate here lends itself better to heating with a heat pump over combustion-type heating.

/ Having a pole building built #3  
If your going to have sliding doors put them on the inside instead of the outside of the wall.

This keeps them out of the wind and snow.

/ Having a pole building built #4  
My recommendation: Construct a 30'x60' building instead of the 30'x48', because one week after you finish construction you will find the 30x48 full.

/ Having a pole building built #5  
If your going to have sliding doors put them on the inside instead of the outside of the wall.

This keeps them out of the wind and snow.

I cant say I have ever seen sliding doors on the inside. :confused: Sounds good if you have the building width......do you have a pic? How do you seal up at the floor if you have concrete?

As for a tip: Bigger is better. I like my ridge lite....but I don't have any electric.

/ Having a pole building built #6  
I cant say I have ever seen sliding doors on the inside. :confused: Sounds good if you have the building width......do you have a pic? How do you seal up at the floor if you have concrete?

As for a tip: Bigger is better. I like my ridge lite....but I don't have any electric.

I will get some pics.

As far as sealing it really isn't much different from being on the outside, neither will seal very good.

To the OP I would pour a floating slab and put the building on top instead of having posts in the ground to rot off. We have done several like this and it works very well.

Also use Kynar 500 paint on the steel (like Morton does) it is very little more money, if you can't find it I can hook you up.

/ Having a pole building built #7  
If you seal your floor and later want to place an epoxy type floor down, the sealer will have to be removed. I made that mistake once. For what a sealer does and the purpose it is supposed to serve, I'd not place a sealer on it. There is really no gained value with a surface sealant.

/ Having a pole building built #8  
Which would mean keeping that portion of the inside wall clear of stuff ?

Or like a pocket door ?

Don't the rain blow in or is there a large overlap ?

Yes, pics please. :)

/ Having a pole building built #9  
Which would mean keeping that portion of the inside wall clear of stuff ?

Or like a pocket door ?

Don't the rain blow in or is there a large overlap ?

Yes, pics please. :)

The advantage may not be as great for a shop with a concrete floor.

I was thinking from a machine shed point of view where the doors are open as much as they are closed. With the doors on the inside the wind doesn't beat them up and you don't have to fight pushing them through snow on the outside.

I will be sure to get pics.

/ Having a pole building built
My recommendation: Construct a 30'x60' building instead of the 30'x48', because one week after you finish construction you will find the 30x48 full.

Just so you know I have a 26 by 48 garage also, so the size will be OK. My plan is to get rid of a lot of stuff rather than move it into the new building.:D