Has anyone split a Farmall Super C?

/ Has anyone split a Farmall Super C? #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
I think I need to change the ring gear on the flywheel that the starter engages on my Super C with wide front end. If so, the tractor will need to be split. Has anyone split an old Farmall like the Super C and is it easy or difficult?

/ Has anyone split a Farmall Super C? #2  
Most times you can just flip the gear over. Back side should be like new if it hasn't been flipped.

/ Has anyone split a Farmall Super C? #3  
I helped do the ring gear on a Super A, same basic design. Think the whole job was done in less than 6 hours including flipping the ring gear over.

Wide front is easier to split in my opinion, wedge the axle pivot, block rear end up and roll front away on a large floor jack. Super A was offset and it worked, Super C being centered is better balanced.

/ Has anyone split a Farmall Super C? #6  
Try a super M with one front tire.

/ Has anyone split a Farmall Super C?
   / Has anyone split a Farmall Super C? #8  
I've done a couple, plus other IH's similar, but mine have narrow front ends. I prefer to block the front, but I have a chain hoist on a beam to hold the engine/front end in place and roll the rear end away. When going back together engage the pto, put an adjustable wrench on the pto shaft turning it to move the tractor back together. I do this by myself, so using the pto to move the tractor saves a lot of pushing, and maybe getting out of align. When it's close enough I use 8" long bolts threaded in basically guide pins. Once the input shaft is starting to mate with the splines on the clutch disc, you can feel them mesh through turning the pto shaft. From that point on I use shorter bolts, then roll forward by hand and chase it up tightening the bolts as I go. I also fill the dimple in the front of the input shaft with a good bearing grease to lube the pilot bushing.

/ Has anyone split a Farmall Super C?
I've done a couple, plus other IH's similar, but mine have narrow front ends. I prefer to block the front, but I have a chain hoist on a beam to hold the engine/front end in place and roll the rear end away. When going back together engage the pto, put an adjustable wrench on the pto shaft turning it to move the tractor back together. I do this by myself, so using the pto to move the tractor saves a lot of pushing, and maybe getting out of align. When it's close enough I use 8" long bolts threaded in basically guide pins. Once the input shaft is starting to mate with the splines on the clutch disc, you can feel them mesh through turning the pto shaft. From that point on I use shorter bolts, then roll forward by hand and chase it up tightening the bolts as I go. I also fill the dimple in the front of the input shaft with a good bearing grease to lube the pilot bushing.
Good info. Thank you.

/ Has anyone split a Farmall Super C? #10  
Good info. Thank you.
Forgot to mention, the tractor transmission needs to be in gear also for the tractor to move while using the pto to move tractor.