Hand winch on the utility trailer installed

/ Hand winch on the utility trailer installed #1  

jkk04

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 410 backhoe, MF 30 industrial tractor, IH TD-14 dozer, New Holland TZ24DA
I had a real problem loading a couple non operational riding mowers to my utility trailer without a winch a couple weeks ago.

The mower has flat front tires that cause it to roll so hard.

It was too hard to do by myself.

I should have had this winch on the trailer a long time ago.

Hope this video helps someone who needs to do so...

John's Ranch

/ Hand winch on the utility trailer installed #2  
You'll never have a dead battery or poor wiring connection.

:)

Bruce

/ Hand winch on the utility trailer installed #3  
I made an adapter for my 1/2" 20v cordless drill, to run a winch like that.

It works very good, and takes a lot of the work out of it.

SR

/ Hand winch on the utility trailer installed #4  
Great solution! Sure saves your back for loading stubborn items.

I use this portable drill powered winch from Warn:

It's handy for a variety of pulling tasks. I've even pulled my tractor out of a snowbank with it.

/ Hand winch on the utility trailer installed
I made an adapter for my 1/2" 20v cordless drill, to run a winch like that.

It works very good, and takes a lot of the work out of it.

SR
Is it possible to upload some pictures for the adapter?

Thank you in advance.

John

/ Hand winch on the utility trailer installed #6  
Is it possible to upload some pictures for the adapter?

Thank you in advance.

John
It's very easy to do...

I started out with a couple of pieces of electrical conduit. I cut one to length and took a couple hammers,

P1000285-S.jpg

pounding one end oval, until it fit on the end of the shaft where the winches handle went,

P1000291-S.jpg

Then I split a second piece, slit it over the first piece to "double it", and welded them together where I had made the split, for extra strength.

Next, I took a piece of all thread and spun two nuts on it, mig welding and grinding the one I spun to the bottom/end, round so it would fit down the tube,

P1000292-S.jpg

The second nut I welded higher on the all thread, and drilled a hole through the conduit to weld it and the nut in place, to the tube.

P1000295-S.jpg

It's strong and works VERY good,

P1000296-S.jpg

Lots of ways to skin a cat, I just used what I had lying around...

SR

/ Hand winch on the utility trailer installed
It's very easy to do...

I started out with a couple of pieces of electrical conduit. I cut one to length and took a couple hammers,

pounding one end oval, until it fit on the end of the shaft where the winches handle went,

Then I split a second piece, slit it over the first piece to "double it", and welded them together where I had made the split, for extra strength.

Next, I took a piece of all thread and spun two nuts on it, mig welding and grinding the one I spun to the bottom/end, round so it would fit down the tube,

The second nut I welded higher on the all thread, and drilled a hole through the conduit to weld it and the nut in place, to the tube.

It's strong and works VERY good,

Lots of ways to skin a cat, I just used what I had lying around...

SR
Thank you for the pictures.
I just made my own adapter from your inspiration.
7.jpg

The plate is 1/4" left over from the last project and doubled for more strength.
3.jpg

4.jpg

The 3/8" extend bar and socket that came from recycled

8.jpg

Tested with my 18V ryobi drill that is not strong enough to pull the riding mower..
๐Ÿ˜‚
๐Ÿ˜‚
๐Ÿ˜‚

I might need 20V drill.^^LOL^^
Thanks Again
John

/ Hand winch on the utility trailer installed #8  
I've had several people tell me a cordless drill won't work, not enough power...

BUT, they have china winches, mines American made, and it's geared a bit lower, works smoother, and also has a hi-lo, so my drills have plenty of power to run it.

SR

/ Hand winch on the utility trailer installed #9  
Thank you for the pictures.
I just made my own adapter from your inspiration.
View attachment 723541
The plate is 1/4" left over from the last project and doubled for more strength.
View attachment 723542
View attachment 723543
The 3/8" extend bar and socket that came from recycled

View attachment 723544
Tested with my 18V ryobi drill that is not strong enough to pull the riding mower..
๐Ÿ˜‚
๐Ÿ˜‚
๐Ÿ˜‚

I might need 20V drill.^^LOL^^
Thanks Again
John
If I'm guessing right, your drill is a 3/8th incher. They typically lack the torque of a 1/2 inch. I've been watching this thread with great interest. Last summer I had occasion to use my trailer to haul home my Town & Country mini-van because the starter wouldn't engage (corroded terminal as it turned out). I'd lost the crank for the winch so I ended up using an open-end wrench a quarter turn at a time to load that heavy beast! A 1/2 inch cordless drill may not have been enough muscle even on the geared down drive I used the wrench on. I'm wondering how a heavy duty impact wrench might serve.

/ Hand winch on the utility trailer installed #10  
My DeWalt 20v, 3/8's drive will run my winch, but since then I bought a half incherer...

Also, brushless tools have more power, are lighter and the batts last longer, that's all I buy now...

SR