Had a visitor, Racing Pigeon

/ Had a visitor, Racing Pigeon #1  

Paddy

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota, G5200, KAMA 454
On Friday, my wife and I were enjoying a 5:00 bourbon on the covered back porch. Our Jack Russel, Henry, chased off what we thought was a dove. A few minuets later a pigeon landed on the table and started walking towards us. Our first reaction was to chase it off. But we saw the bright red bands on it's legs.

We got a handful us bird food and he began to eat. After a while he allowed my wife to get close enough the read the tag numbers. After a quick google, we learned the bird was from a racing member outside Louisville KY, 2 hours south of us. There was a phone number on the website how to report a found bird. Within 2 hours we got a call from "Carl".

He asked us to try an catch it, we asked how do you do that?? He said until dark and shine a light in his eyes and have someone else come from behind. We named him Charlie, and Charlie did appear to be going anywhere so we waited until dark and got him in a covered box.

We have been in contact with Carl and got a few more details. They had a race last week that started 1 hour south of Louisville in Elisabeth town, KY. The race was back to Louisville. All but one of Carl's 50 birds made it back. In this one hour race, O'l Charlie went 2 hours north of his target, so a "3 Hour tour"

Carl told us he has been a Pigeon fancier for 75 years!! We thought he sounded old but had no idea. I have a business trip to Louisville on Monday and my wife and I are going to deliver Charlie back to his home. We are looking forward to meeting Carl and seeing his setup. Funny how Rural people meet.

/ Had a visitor, Racing Pigeon #2  
Racing pigeon!?!? I don't know much about birds but around here racing pigeons is like saying racing pintos- Not exactly the high end. Lol

Anyway thanks for sharing. Says more about you and your wife's character to take the time and go above and beyond for the bird and owner.

The bird will be the parodical son!!

/ Had a visitor, Racing Pigeon
ENeumann,

Honing Pigeons have been around for nearly 2000 years, must have been a hobby anyone could do

/ Had a visitor, Racing Pigeon #4  
I had a homing pigeon but sold it on eBay. Thirteen times so far!

/ Had a visitor, Racing Pigeon #6  
Had a similar experience. A pigeon landed near my chicken coop during snowstorm. My wife was able to pick him up and we took him in for the night. Called the number from the website, and was put in touch with the owner the next town over. He had been at a wedding an hour north in MA, and was waiting for some of his birds to return who were dis-oriented due to the early snowstorm. Found out the previous owner of my farm had introduced this man to homing pigeons, and his original breeding pair came from my farm many years ago. His pigeons still stop by every now and then. I send him a text letting him know they will be home soon!

_DSC7080.JPG
_DSC7081.JPG
_DSC6570.JPG

/ Had a visitor, Racing Pigeon #7  
Had some type of racing pigeon land on my deck this summer. He was much sleeker, thinner and smaller than the normal "park pigeon". He stayed all day - would drink water that I put out for him - wouldn't eat the seeds I put out - left at dusk for parts ukn. Never got to pick him up but he did have multiple bands around his ankles. Hope he made it to wherever he was going. This is not a nice place for lost pigeons - hawks in the daytime, owls at night.

/ Had a visitor, Racing Pigeon
We delivered Charlie back to Louisville Monday. I was nice to see his operation. He was quite thankful

/ Had a visitor, Racing Pigeon #10  
Charlie's owner is probably doing something similar to the attached article. After that Charlie should be good as new!

Magnetic Compass Needle Repair

2x- thx for sharing!