Grill guard for T474?

/ Grill guard for T474? #1  

Rich_Z

Silver Member
Tractor
TYM T474HC
Anyone know where to find a decent grill guard for the TYM T474? I found a place selling grill guards, but unfortunately not for the TYM models. The guys says maybe in the future, but not likely in the NEAR future. I would rather buy one before getting damage, rather than afterwards.

/ Grill guard for T474? #2  
Check this thread: TYM Grill Guards

Maybe you can find one on any of those places.

/ Grill guard for T474? #4  
I had a friend that can weld get some stretched metal for me, I painted it myself.

IMG_2659.jpg

/ Grill guard for T474? #5  
Since your plan is to primarily use your tractor in a wooded area, you also will want to take a good look underneath to see if there are any hydraulic lines or filters that also need guards. If you can't find a belly guard, a local welding shop could make one or ask your dealer to see if the dealer can help.

/ Grill guard for T474? #6  
My nearest new neighbor owns a custom welding business. I think I will see what he can do (even if it costs more). Maybe I can convince him to make it a regular part of their business. I've seen some of their work...this should be easy.

Example:

21DB3645-50EC-4652-B535-7089140016E1.jpeg

/ Grill guard for T474? #7  
The good news is that a guard on the bottom of your tractor doesn't have to be a work of art in order to provide the protection needed. But I can see "True Love" on Torvy's grill guard.

/ Grill guard for T474? #8  
The good news is that a guard on the bottom of your tractor doesn't have to be a work of art in order to provide the protection needed. But I can see "True Love" on Torvy's grill guard.
Maybe Torvy. Wife wants to call the tractor Clifford, but it's not big enough for that. Maybe Rover?

/ Grill guard for T474? #9  
Anyone know where to find a decent grill guard for the TYM T474? I found a place selling grill guards, but unfortunately not for the TYM models. The guys says maybe in the future, but not likely in the NEAR future. I would rather buy one before getting damage, rather than afterwards.
I used the same expanded metal sheet for my TYM394 grill guard. Instead of welding, I just used hose clamps on the top and bottom. Does the job and I can easily remove in the future if needed for any reason (although I honestly cannot see why it would need to be removed). My grill guard is pounded and deformed from use. Definitely a "must-have" living in very rocky terrain where I pretty much dug up my entire yard, screened out the rocks, and put all the clean dirt back.
I call that "work" to my wife, when in reality that was just plain ole fun to shift all that soil...

Attachments

• TYM Grill Guard.jpg
    TYM Grill Guard.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 88
   / Grill guard for T474? #10  
It isn't difficult to weld expanded metal onto a grill guard if that's something that interests any of you or you have trouble finding a welding shop to do it for you.

Take the factory grill guard off and lay it on a table or something so you are working at a comfortable height. Grind off the paint where you'll be welding so the weld will stick. Then clamp the expanded metal onto the guard using a big enough piece of expanded metal to cover all of the guard. Don't try to cut it exactly to size. let some expanded metal hang over the edges of the guard so you don't run short of metal as you weld it up. Tack weld the expanded metal onto the guard. Remove clamps. Cut off any excess expanded metal and paint. This job could probably be done with one of the small Yeswelders from Amazon that sell for under $130. Then you will have a welder to use later for other small projects if you don't already have one.