Great lake boats, a good video

/ Great lake boats, a good video #1,001  
Maybe this?

2D855003-5701-4AEB-9D37-2578971FF187.jpeg

/ Great lake boats, a good video #1,003  
There is another boat designed to go up the Cuyahoga river and I can't recall which. Is it the Joseph Block? Here is a boat as he backs out that river. Who needs thrusters?? 😅 (the stern thurster engines exhast is seen in this vidoe on the right side)
Good grief, that was a long back out!
And done so well!

/ Great lake boats, a good video #1,004  
Far as negotiating the Cuyahoga, all the boats can

I grew up in physical sight of the Cuyahoga in Cleveland

I'd like to see anyone of the thousand-footers try that.

Are you old enough to have seen the Cuyahoga River catch fire? I grew up and lived in Parma back then and I remember running down to the flats to try and see the fire. I also remember several times a laker took out docked personal watercraft on some of the river bends.

/ Great lake boats, a good video #1,005  
Are you old enough to have seen the Cuyahoga River catch fire?
You mean during the mayoral tenure of Ralph Perk? Of course I do. Not only the river but his hair as well...lol I'm 72 and spent the majority of my child and adult years living in the 'Mistake on the Lake'

Don't know if I commented on it but I worked as a fitter at GW industries on the Cuyahoga, just north of Collision Bend and the 1000 footers can navigate the river with the help of tugs. Never remember any lakes boats hitting any other boats either. Care to provide a link on that????

Worked on a lot of lakers, including the Fitz. Dad worked at Republic Steel, remember that company????

Moved from the 'Mistake on the Lake to the other Mistake on the Lake (Michigan), not by choice but by design. Least now I live in a very rural area and play at farming. Quite a change from being a city rat.

Had a boat myself back then and cruised the Cuyahoga and out to the crib to fish too.

/ Great lake boats, a good video #1,006  
Never remember any lakes boats hitting any other boats either. Care to provide a link on that????
I can't since the events come from my memory from back in the days of the 70s and 80s, long before the Internet and search engines.

/ Great lake boats, a good video #1,007  
Good grief, that was a long back out!
And done so well!
At 3:06-3:07 in the video, if you look to the right, that is where GW Industries used to be located (where I worked for many years on lakers). and the double lift bridges the boat passes under just after, I remember watching a Mather boat hit the automobile bridge ( the other one is a rail bridge). Took the funnel off as well as a lot of aft superstructure. Got to watch that 'accident' close up and personal. The Rouge upbound to the old-sold Ford Rouge plant (now Acceleor-Mittal) I believe is just as tight if not tighter than the Cuyahoga. Far as I know, both bridges are now out of service but I could be wrong. We used to do coal to oil conversions, work on bow thrusters and hull plate work. I not so fondly remember working on bow thrusters and refitting the engines a piece at a time as the front thrusters are in a tight space. Those were the days, I was young and agile. Now I'm old and not so agile. Don't miss Cleveland one bit actually, though I still have family there. Visiting is ok but residing there, I'll pass.

/ Great lake boats, a good video #1,008  
Used to eat at 'Jim's Steak House' on collision bend as well and spent many a night in the flats getting loaded and playing darts at some dive I cannot remember the name of except it was at the foot of West 25th street below the projects. Was in the Longshoreman's Union (a necessary mandate when working on the Lakers) and all longshoreman back then were serious drinkers and fighters. Back then, Cleveland was a union town. Now, I have no idea other than the parent company I retired from had a plant located on the Mittal property that was non union and in the steel processing business. I retired when I was 58. I'm 72 now. The memories are coming back thinking about it.

Past life but not entirely forgotten.

/ Great lake boats, a good video #1,009  
You mean during the mayoral tenure of Ralph Perk? Of course I do. Not only the river but his hair as well...lol I'm 72 and spent the majority of my child and adult years living in the 'Mistake on the Lake'

Don't know if I commented on it but I worked as a fitter at GW industries on the Cuyahoga, just north of Collision Bend and the 1000 footers can navigate the river with the help of tugs. Never remember any lakes boats hitting any other boats either. Care to provide a link on that????

Worked on a lot of lakers, including the Fitz. Dad worked at Republic Steel, remember that company????

Moved from the 'Mistake on the Lake to the other Mistake on the Lake (Michigan), not by choice but by design. Least now I live in a very rural area and play at farming. Quite a change from being a city rat.

Had a boat myself back then and cruised the Cuyahoga and out to the crib to fish too.
Just a quick seearch:

Found one from 2001

And 2008

And one from 2017 that says it's the fourth one in the past 2 years.