Great lake boats, a good video

/ Great lake boats, a good video #1  

ArlyA

Houghton MI (the Lake Superior snow belt) USA
Tractor
Polaris Boss 6x6 with pods (tracks) Center actuating lawn mower by Husky
We live on the south shore of Lake Superior and enjoy the work boats and have friends who work on them etc, etc. In fact I love most machines like these working boats. Here is a nice video a fellow made of shipping on the St Marys and along north shore of Lake Michigan. We call that lake "the southern, shallow pond". :D Maybe some people here like this stuff?

Shipping on the Great Lakes... A Bird's Eye View, Summer 215, Part 1 - YouTube

/ Great lake boats, a good video #2  
One of the ships featured in the video,"the Roger Blough" ran aground in lake Superior not far from entering the St. Marys about a year ago.

Dan

/ Great lake boats, a good video
More worthless boat info. The star like insignia painted on the bow or near the stern of boats, are thruster warnings for small crafts. Most lake boast have these and generally are power by a 5000hp engine which spins a 8ft prop mounted in a tube that passes through the boat. These allow for maneuvering without moving forward. In the docking portions in this video, you can see them in use.

/ Great lake boats, a good video #5  
You shoulda posted this on Oreboats by Net.

/ Great lake boats, a good video #6  
Interesting to an Okie landlubber. At first, I thought they were all running without cargo, until I figured out they were carrying something like ore, or limestone, fertilizer or some such.

/ Great lake boats, a good video
Most of there cargo would be coal, limestone and pellets. The white cargo they are loading in this video is crushed limestone. Iron Pellets is what they make steel from and a high percent of our steel would pass through the Soo locks which is very near where this fellow made his video. U.S. Army Corps of Engineers( Soo Cameras)

The salts would most likely be hauling grain out, but they carry many other bulk products as well. I'm not sure of the percentages of whatever there cargo's might be.

I should add that several articulating barge/tugs boats were also seen on it. They look a tad different than most of the boats.

/ Great lake boats, a good video #8  
Cool video, thanks for sharing.

/ Great lake boats, a good video #9  
We fish the St.Lawrence River at night for walleyes;right along the shipping channel and border with Canada.We see ships every day;what's scary is when the ships are coming "at" you there is no noise at all;the engine sound is behind the vessel.We have had a couple close calls when no one is paying attention.