Grease zerk problem/question

/ Grease zerk problem/question #1  

Gregster613

Platinum Member
Southern Ca. halfway up a mountain in rural Ramona
Tractor
273 TYM. 2009 //Yardmachines 7 Speed Shift-on-the-goScotts L2048
Hi TYM'rs,
I've got a zerk that just won't seem to take grease and I don't know just how much it needs or even its importance. I didn't take the time to look up the proper name in the manual, but it's the zerk dead center of the front end. It's on a large round chunk of steel with a bolt in it that looks like an adjustment for the steering or whatever. I see no seals, bearings, etc., etc.

I don't have the time to take a picture right now so I thought I'd just explain it and see if'n I'd get a response//answer. If not I'll get a picture sometime this week.

I try pumping grease into it and it forces the grease gun off the fitting. I even went and bought an air grease gun to maybe force a shot or two into it with no luck. Have any of you had problems with this fitting? Just how much grease does it need? 4 - 5 shots? Does grease seep out somewhere once it's full? Or is the simple fact that it won't accept grease mean that its full?? I know all about the grease gun knurl adjustment and such and that's not the problem.
I could use someone elses thoughts on this. Thanks, Greg

/ Grease zerk problem/question #2  
A couple of things. Punch in the center of the zerk with something sharp, like a nail head and see if the center pushes IN. If it does. change the position of whatever you are greasing, forward - back, up - down etc.

/ Grease zerk problem/question #3  
Does the zerk have paint on it? That could keep it from accepting grease. If so, scrape the paint off with a pocket knife. If not, simply get a new zerk (they're less than $1.00) and replace it. It's usually a simple enough job.

Joe

/ Grease zerk problem/question #4  
Have you tried removing it or just replace it?
How much grease? Enough to see it coming out the joint.

/ Grease zerk problem/question #5  
I dont know anything about TYM, but on a kubota you are supposed to remove the breather plug nearby the fitting. I think the idea is to keep from blowing out a seal or something. Not sure.

/ Grease zerk problem/question #6  
here is a pix of the kubota front axle and the breather

/ Grease zerk problem/question
Well I guess the old adage of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" holds true!

I dug through my manual and found the proper nomenclature - It's called the front pivot, both front and back have grease nipples in 'em.

Anyway, I tried KOua's suggestion & loosened up the cap at my front end 90W fill point [since TYM has no front axel vent]; but still, no grease would go in. Thanks for that idea anyhow KOua, it was sure worth a shot!

Fustrated, I removed the grease nipple and grease started to slowly push/ooze out the empty hole! I quickly stuck the fitting into my gun and yes grease does flow through it; so I just as quickly screwed it back into the hole and I believe I can stop worrying about it. Obvisouly (sp) grease is not needed nor that critical at those pivot points. I will keep it in mind @ regular grease intervals but I'm not gonna worry if it still won't take grease.
Thanks for the thoughts guys, Greg

/ Grease zerk problem/question #8  
Just found this post. You might try these two things if applicable:

If you have a front loader lower it so the front end just comes off the ground to relieve pressure
Or
If it is on the steering linkage have someone slowly turn the steering wheel while you try to get the zerk to take grease. It may take with wheels turned one way or the other. Just make sure the parking break is set and you trust the person helping will not touch any other controls

/ Grease zerk problem/question #9  
I have a similar problem with one of my T233 zerks on the side that greases the brake pedal. It just won't take. I removed it and grease will go thru the fitting. I also replaced with a new one with same result. I tried to poke out any dry or hard grease in the cup. Still won't accept it. Not sure what to do next. At least the brakes work!

/ Grease zerk problem/question #10  
I have a similar problem with one of my T233 zerks on the side that greases the brake pedal. It just won't take. I removed it and grease will go thru the fitting. I also replaced with a new one with same result. I tried to poke out any dry or hard grease in the cup. Still won't accept it. Not sure what to do next. At least the brakes work!

I see the same thing on my 273. I hit it with fluid film every now and then and call it good.