Grease Couplers for FEL

/ Grease Couplers for FEL #21  
Use a regular grease gun tip, just don't wrench it tight onto the gun hose. That way you can loosen the tip and release the pressure to remove from fitting.
If you don't snug the cap on enough, grease doesn't go in the zerk, it just comes back out around the zerk and gun tip. If snug enough to force grease in, it creates enough pressure to push the grease gun tip outward and makes it hard or impossible on some of the recessed ones to unscrew the cap enough to release, unless you want to wait a few minutes for each zerk. The Macnaught KYPLUS Safety Locking Grease Coupler I mentioned in post #2 is the only one small enough to fit in the recessed pins and allow easy release once the grease pressure secures the grease tip.

/ Grease Couplers for FEL #22  
If you don't snug the cap on enough, grease doesn't go in the zerk, it just comes back out around the zerk and gun tip. If snug enough to force grease in, it creates enough pressure to push the grease gun tip outward and makes it hard or impossible on some of the recessed ones to unscrew the cap enough to release, unless you want to wait a few minutes for each zerk. The Macnaught KYPLUS Safety Locking Grease Coupler I mentioned in post #2 is the only one small enough to fit in the recessed pins and allow easy release once the grease pressure secures the grease tip.
What I use myself. Once the pressure is relaxed, the McNaught releases no issue.

/ Grease Couplers for FEL #23  
What I use myself. Once the pressure is relaxed, the McNaught releases no issue.
That was probably how I broke my zerk and the coupler. There likely was pressure there and I wasn't patient.

/ Grease Couplers for FEL #24  
Instead of removing the pins and using a lathe, I simply removed the zerks, cleaned the recessed portion really well, and used my Dremel tool with grinder drum to remove a bit of material.

Yeah, I make the recess bigger, too. But there is an easier way: I remove the zerk, and drill out the recess a little bigger. I think a 5/8" drill bit did the trick. There is no plating on this part of my pins, and they are not hardened. Packed with grease, too.

Years ago, I bought a lock-N-lube clone, which has broken a few times. I welded it back together, but I should have bought the better made original. Now I see another clone sold at the HomeDepot.

Some of my backhoe recessed-zerk pins would not allow the locking grease fitting to get in, but most were OK. I am not willing to have two different grease fittings on my battery-powered Lincoln greaser. I think I had to drill out 4-6 of them.

/ Grease Couplers for FEL #25  
Drilling it out so it’s a little bigger sounds like something I just might look into trying.

/ Grease Couplers for FEL #27  
I guess I've just been lucky, in that all of the various vintage tips on all of my various grease guns fit all of my fittings, even the recessed loader pins on the 320R loader. I'm surprised to hear so many have had trouble with this.

But it doesn't resolve the issue of picking sawdust, grass, and all other forms of dirt out of the recess, before applying the gun to the fitting.

I hate these modern fittings:

1676643132419.png

I miss my older FEL's, which all had these:

1676643165231.png

The old fittings were cleaned in 2 seconds with a quick wipe of a paper towel. The new ones take 15 - 20x longer, and there's still always debris in there when I just get fed up and stick the damn gun tip in there.

/ Grease Couplers for FEL #28  
The old style tip are fine but on my old loader many of them were nearly impossible to grease because of very lousy locations.
The new style tips pretty much eliminate the hard to access issues.

/ Grease Couplers for FEL #29  
The old style tip are fine but on my old loader many of them were nearly impossible to grease because of very lousy locations.
The new style tips pretty much eliminate the hard to access issues.
Good point. I did have to start the tractor and roll the bucket forward to get to the last one or two pairs on the wrist pins of the loader, which really wasn't a big deal on my last machine, but I guess some could be worse.

/ Grease Couplers for FEL #30  
lots of posts here about cleaning old grease out of the recesses. Mine are dirty, but not packed full of hard/solid debris, if you haven't tried it yet, a couple q-tips works really well for mine. Can clean 2 fittings with 1 double sided q-tip, quick and easy.