Grease Couplers for FEL

/ Grease Couplers for FEL #1  

Dmorf

Tractor
Ls Mt345he
The zerks on my MT345he FEL are recessed. I've tried using multiple brands of the lock n lube style couplers, but they're barely too fat to fit in the hole. I filed one down, and it barely fits, but if there's any left over grease in the recess, it won't go in far enough. Has anyone else had this problem? Any tips? I've had to switch back to a Lincoln coupler because they aren't as fat, but they put me in a bad mood.

I'm thinking about using an annular cutter to widen the recesses.

/ Grease Couplers for FEL #2  
The zerks on my MT345he FEL are recessed. I've tried using multiple brands of the lock n lube style couplers, but they're barely too fat to fit in the hole. I filed one down, and it barely fits, but if there's any left over grease in the recess, it won't go in far enough. Has anyone else had this problem? Any tips? I've had to switch back to a Lincoln coupler because they aren't as fat, but they put me in a bad mood.

I'm thinking about using an annular cutter to widen the recesses.
I had the same issue. I switched to Macnaught KYPLUS Safety Locking Grease Coupler
and they fit.

/ Grease Couplers for FEL #3  
I had the same issue. I switched to Macnaught KYPLUS Safety Locking Grease Coupler
and they fit.
I switched to that exact coupler and it malfunctioned and the result was a broken coupler and and broken off nipple on my zerk.

Good news was that Macnaught sent me out a replacement free of charge and free shipping.

Bad news is having a huge issue finding the right size zerk to replace the old on. After several trips to tractor supply in town no love. I ordered several in the size I thought was correct with no love. Finally I think I got the right size 10mm not sure of the thread size yet but with the tight recess how do I install the new zerk?

Thinking I gotta get a thin walled 10mm socket that is deep and then figure out a way to get it going into the hole. Maybe there's a spacer I can add to the socket to keep it out far enough to grab the threads. Whata pita. Bad enough getting the correct size zerk then not being able to install it.

I get the reason for resessing the zerks - working in brush etc its very handy as long and nothing goes wrong.

I also tried many couplers and the one I found the easiest to work with was the Macnaught but it malfunctioned. Can win for loosing.

Anyone have a handy tip for installing zerks in recessed fittings??

/ Grease Couplers for FEL
I switched to that exact coupler and it malfunctioned and the result was a broken coupler and and broken off nipple on my zerk.

Good news was that Macnaught sent me out a replacement free of charge and free shipping.

Bad news is having a huge issue finding the right size zerk to replace the old on. After several trips to tractor supply in town no love. I ordered several in the size I thought was correct with no love. Finally I think I got the right size 10mm not sure of the thread size yet but with the tight recess how do I install the new zerk?

Thinking I gotta get a thin walled 10mm socket that is deep and then figure out a way to get it going into the hole. Maybe there's a spacer I can add to the socket to keep it out far enough to grab the threads. Whata pita. Bad enough getting the correct size zerk then not being able to install it.

I get the reason for resessing the zerks - working in brush etc its very handy as long and nothing goes wrong.

I also tried many couplers and the one I found the easiest to work with was the Macnaught but it malfunctioned. Can win for loosing.

Anyone have a handy tip for installing zerks in recessed fittings??
Try stuffing paper towels or cotton balls or something into a deep socket to keep the nut/zerk at the tip of the socket. Can also coat the zirk with grease to keep it from falling out of the socket. Basically need to rig up a 10mm sparkplug socket...

/ Grease Couplers for FEL #6  
I use a Lock-n-Lube grease gun, but recently got their accessory kit for some of the hard-to-reach fittings on my FEL and BH.

I use a Lock-n-Lube grease gun, but recently got their accessory kit for some of the hard-to-reach fittings on my FEL and BH.

Are any of the fittings in that kit narrower than the regular locknlube and able to lock onto a zerk?

/ Grease Couplers for FEL #8  
I hate these modern recessed zerks used on so many loader pins now. Folks thought I was crazy when I claimed it took me longer to grease my loader (14 zerks?) than to change my oil. I had a chance to time myself doing both just last month, and it was 18 minutes average per machine (3 cars + tractor + mower) for the oil+filter changes, and something like 21 minutes to grease the loader. Like the OP, my main challlenge has been cleaning the recessed zerks of sawdust and wood chips (tractor is used mostly for firewood processing), before applying the grease gun fitting. It was much easier when the zerks stuck out the side of the pin (like the old tractor in my avatar), where you could do a simple and quick wipe with a paper towel, before pushing the grease gun hose onto the fitting.

But there may be another solution. I have a grease gun needle, that has been handy for greasing zerks put on small steel caster axles, where a standard grease gun fitting won't go. I'm thinking that may be the key for the loader, as it simply pushes into the ball-bearing center of the zerk, no outside capture:

/ Grease Couplers for FEL #9  
Those fittings they put on loaders these days look great……….until you attempt to add grease, my regular grease gun tips won’t fit so I bought one of those small grease guns from Harbor Frieght, it fits ok but the refill tubes cost way to much and seems like every time I want to use it the tube is empty. Maybe they sell different and better grease gun tips and guns in different countries for reasonable prices ? I already own a couple Lock N Lube tips they work great for fittings that are out in wide open spaces but are useless for tight spaces and I don’t think I will ever be spending any more money on Lock N Lube stuff.

Last edited:
   / Grease Couplers for FEL #10  
McNaught for me too and I'll blow out the recesses with my pressure washer before greasing.