Gravely Help

/ Gravely Help #1  

Eric_Phillips

Platinum Member
Tractor
FarmTrac 270DTC
My uncle has a 1975 Gravely he calls a split block type. He claims parts are not available anymore since this model was "outlawed" due to pollution problems. I have no idea what he is talking about there. After reading some recent posts it sounds to me like there should be parts. Any thoughts? I am trying to get as much info about this as I can before I head down in a couple of weeks. If this is worth picking up I will need to barrow a very uncomfortable Explorer to pull the trailer. Other wise I get to drive my comfortable car for the 4.5 hrs.

/ Gravely Help #2  
Parts for the Gravely engine are readily avaliable, one common source is gravelyparts.com, they specialize in older gravelys, Antrams in Somerset PA is another common supplier for the walkbehind models.

/ Gravely Help
I thought gravely parts should be available. I am not sure who told my uncle that there was a pollution problem with this machine. I am betting it was a dealer trying to sell him a new unit. I don't know of any small engine that has any kind of pollution control. It might be easier to fix this machine that to try adapting its mower to my MCS.

/ Gravely Help #4  
What is wrong with the machine?

/ Gravely Help
What is wrong with the machine?

It doesn't run. That is all I know. It is 4.5hrs away. I am going down there in a couple weeks anyway I just need to determine if it is worth trying to find out how to get it back here during that trip.

/ Gravely Help #6  
If it were me, and I was going anyways I'd be hauling it on the return trip even if the engine was in pieces. Take a trailer for sure, tractor alone no implements weighs over 350 lbs

/ Gravely Help #7  
Would be nice to know when it stopped running and what happened--because if it just needs a tuneup to get running, sure would be easier to get on your trailer if you could get it to run. Gravely's are much heavier than they look. Even with ramps and a winch, a non-running Gravely is not easy to move.

I went to look at one that wasn't running--the guy had just run it out of gas!

/ Gravely Help #8  
if you can get it out of gear, 2 guys can easly pull one backward up into a trailer. Ive done it many a time with my rescue L's

/ Gravely Help
Thanks for the help. If I can find a vehicvle that will pull the trailer and allow me to get the wife and two kids in I will be picking it up this weekend. My uncle has a CUT with FEL so loading should not be a problem. Even if I can't get it this weekend I will be able to look it over and determine its condition.

/ Gravely Help #10  
Go over to Brooks Gravely Them old guys in there will help you. I think its on brooks ave? its not far from you.