Gopher mount leveling.

/ Gopher mount leveling. #11  
Maybe BIG truck tire on rim dragging.

/ Gopher mount leveling.
Yeah, I thought about that and I suspect it would work well but, I ain't got one. :)

/ Gopher mount leveling. #13  
I dunno, I've been manually raking the mounds for years and the problem ebbs and flows but hasn't really gotten much worse. I've found if the dug up loam is spread around the grass grows back through it quickly so the overall area with bare ground stays fairly small. The biggest problem is the undisturbed mounts make mowing a rough job and look crappy.

Maybe it depends on climate and specific species of gopher(?). But, I understand the problem - it would be better if there were a more humane way of dealing with it (an animal dying of strychnine poisoning is something I won't deal with).
There are also traps

/ Gopher mount leveling. #14  
Learned this from a landscaper who used a box blade to breakup and distribute dirt clods before seeding a lawn. Should work on mole tunnels and hills as well. Most people here have, or need, a box blade anyway.

Landscaper extended the bottom of his sidewalls by bolting a length of 2X4 or 2X6 to the bottom of each sidewall. These boards will serve as skids to float the rear cutting edge (at whatever height you make it) above those skid bottoms. So just put the modified BB fully down and drag the whole yard. Whatever gets peeled off gets beat up inside the box blade until it fits under the cutting edge opening.

Landscaper said he has to replace the boards several times per season.

/ Gopher mount leveling. #15  
Was wondering if anyone might have some ideas on a home-built device to be towed behind a small tractor (Yanmar 15HP) for smoothing out the mounts of dirt that pocket gophers leave (I'm getting tired of rakin' the dang things). Maybe something shop built, maybe something purchased? It would have to be something that would smooth the loose dirt but not gouge the grass too much.

Thanks for any suggestions.
My neighbour just drags a rebar mesh behind his Kioti to flatten mole heaps and to spread the goat **** after a pasture is grazed.

/ Gopher mount leveling. #16  
   / Gopher mount leveling. #18  
Thank you all for the great suggestions, both store bought and shop made. The weighted chain link fence material sounds interesting in particular - I think I'll try that first.

Say what you will but poisoning wildlife, even if they are "just" gophers, doesn't work for me.
.177 caliber pellet rifle works for me, but its only good in really early morning before gophers plug the hole for the day....

/ Gopher mount leveling. #19  
Put a blade like snow plow on front of tractor so level and mow in the same pass.