going to the dark side welder

/ going to the dark side welder #11  
Not moisture, Mark. View attachment 502492

My previous tenants painted the floor but obviously did a poor job of acid- wash prep. A year or so after I moved in the paint started wearing off in areas. Bugs me to no end but really can't get motivated to move stuff out to properly deal with it.

Awesome Shop ! If it were mine, There would be iron and 4 or 5 1/2 finished projects and sh"t laying all over the place. Very Nice !!

/ going to the dark side welder #12  
Awesome Shop ! If it were mine, There would be iron and 4 or 5 1/2 finished projects and sh"t laying all over the place. Very Nice !!

If you overlook the floor. :=). Thanks!

/ going to the dark side welder #13  
This is for you, Bill. (OP)

IMG_1771.JPG

/ going to the dark side welder #14  
This is too funny.

Don't do it. Welding thin metal is never worth the time it takes. Just the time to let the welder cool down between duty cycles is intolerable.
:laughing::laughing::laughing: 120v is for sissies. Wait a minute - voltage at the stinger to create a stick-welding arc is maybe 40-80v then drops to 10-40V to maintain the arc.

If there is any dark side to tool-buying its goading some other poor feller into buying some pro-level tool (that he will never use) simply because you also "overbought" based on forum advice.

OK back to reality.
Having a TIG rules. The arc is a tiny glowing orb that melts precisely where you want it. OTOH its surprisingly hot for how much smaller it is (than the arc on a stick, or a MIG). It doesn't take a lot of power to run a TIG. It takes precise hand-control and good vision though. You have to hold the electrode steady within a few hundredths of an inch, very little leeway.

Its a whole new world when you can weld small metal items and I highly recommend it. In fact I recommend buying every tool that you actually need so scratch all that stuff I wrote above. Shops time is good time. Did I mention I just got a new shop?:D:D:D:cool:

Last edited:
   / going to the dark side welder #15  
Open root pipe welding with Tig is where most guys start.:D

Attachments

• #4 cup.JPG
    #4 cup.JPG
    255.3 KB · Views: 117
  • Root short.jpg
    Root short.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 116
  • Best root pass.jpg
    Best root pass.jpg
    734.7 KB · Views: 104
   / going to the dark side welder #16  
I have some closed root pipe welding to do (soon). :D

Will post pics for u fellers!!!! Not a lotta action here lately - forums gonna go dark....

/ going to the dark side welder
This is too funny.

Don't do it. Welding thin metal is never worth the time it takes. Just the time to let the welder cool down between duty cycles is intolerable.
:laughing::laughing::laughing: 120v is for sissies. Wait a minute - voltage at the stinger to create a stick-welding arc is maybe 40-80v then drops to 10-40V to maintain the arc.

If there is any dark side to tool-buying its goading some other poor feller into buying some pro-level tool (that he will never use) simply because you also "overbought" based on forum advice.

OK back to reality.
Having a TIG rules. The arc is a tiny glowing orb that melts precisely where you want it. OTOH its surprisingly hot for how much smaller it is (than the arc on a stick, or a MIG). It doesn't take a lot of power to run a TIG. It takes precise hand-control and good vision though. You have to hold the electrode steady within a few hundredths of an inch, very little leeway.

Its a whole new world when you can weld small metal items and I highly recommend it. In fact I recommend buying every tool that you actually need so scratch all that stuff I wrote above. Shops time is good time. Did I mention I just got a new shop?:D:D:D:cool:

Theres nothing I can weld with a small welder I cant weld with my big welder. I just cant carry my big welder back and forth between my shop and my basement. And it takes time to carry my parts down to the shop, set everything up to do 2 minutes worth of welding and then having to carry it back to my basement. The new dual voltage machines are much smaller/lighter than my older welder and have similar capabilities. I wont be replaceing my big welder anytime soon, and I will never replace it with a 110volt only machine. I will continue to look for a small tig machine to put in my basement, not because its a better or worse machine than what I already own, but because it would only be used for light duty, occasional use. The heavy stuff I will continue to do in the shop. Growup

/ going to the dark side welder #19  
Closed root:confused:, where is the fun in that?:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Have to splice some square tube 2x2x3/16 against a wood wall.

502739d1489955019-going-dark-side-welder-tempimage-jpg

But thats a different thread. Mudds working thru some tool size issues in his thread. Sorry can't help any further on that one....

Attachments

• TempImage.jpg
    TempImage.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 258
   / going to the dark side welder #20  
Cheap options for aluminum are pretty tough - but for small and portable, how about the Lincoln square wave 200? About $1400 delivered.