Glyphosphate - application rate advice needed

/ Glyphosphate - application rate advice needed #31  
First, in any basic Integrated Pest Mgmt [IPM] course, the first thing they tell you to do is "IDENTIFY THE TARGET SPECIES". Once you do this, there are application rates for each type of plant. It's usually 1 - 2.5/3 oz per gal depending on the plant type. The more broad the leaf and less woody; the less you need/oz/gal.

Next, this is such a small area, you could mark it off and use a backpack or similar sprayer, w a coloring agent. If the majority of the foliage is broadleaf, you could use 1.5oz/gal, hit it all, then 1 week later raise it to 2.5oz and hit anything else remaining. This lessens the post herbicide residual and doesn't contaminate the soil [as bad].

Finally, do not spray anything on a day w winds in excess of 3mph. Make sure the target species is in a growth phase and not dormant. Do not spray w rain in the forecast for 24 hrs, but a rain shower 2-3 days later would be ideal bc it would help translocate the active ingredient from leaves to roots for a complete kill.

Lastly, always follow mix directions and safety measures...wear proper PPE..good luckl

Last edited:
   / Glyphosphate - application rate advice needed #33  
I've concluded a 20 yr experiment on 2 tough invasive plants, Mustard and Tumbleweed. I find 2 oz per gallon will eventually kill 90% of it. 2.5 oz per gallon will kill 100%.
The younger the plant the easier they are to kill. GL
Being from CA, you are restricted before you even walk out your door...I do not envy your regulations nor your taxes, but your temps are usually pretty great!

Yes, all target plants should be in a growth phase to move the chemical from leaves to roots [translocation]. If you ever want to accelerate the kill time, spray early in the morning* but spray "under" the leaves. The stomata are located here and they'll get the active ingredient quickly to roots for full kill.

Since youre in CA, your cool temps could go much further into the day then early morning as in S TX...good luck

/ Glyphosphate - application rate advice needed #34  
The weather is what we pay for. I worked outdoors for 30 of my 40 years here. Good to know about the leaf underside. Thanks

/ Glyphosphate - application rate advice needed #35  
That could be 16-20oz/gal which is WAY TO MUCH, esp a non-selective herbicide....you would sterilize the ground..
You are correct. I didn’t get my thoughts and typing synced. I do use a solo cup but it’s for a four gallon sprayer. Not a per gallon measurement. Sorry about that and thanks for the correction.

/ Glyphosphate - application rate advice needed #36  
You are correct. I didn’t get my thoughts and typing synced. I do use a solo cup but it’s for a four gallon sprayer. Not a per gallon measurement. Sorry about that and thanks for the correction.

No problem.,.hope it all wks out for you!

/ Glyphosphate - application rate advice needed #37  
with 41% ,---on the low side early in the season on VERY humid days 2 oz. will do the job. On big tuffer weeds/trees/brush/etc 4 oz. will USUALLY do it but may need a second shot to get strays. IF the 4 oz. dont do it then its time for the bulldozer! lol!