Getting the wheel/tire combination I want on a new tractor

/ Getting the wheel/tire combination I want on a new tractor #31  
Here’s one I bet most of you haven’t seen:
Studded R-1’s !
This New Holland T6050 was used for snow blowing up in the Great White North
I’d like to buy it, but not a big fan of open center hydraulics.

1675891473030.jpeg

Comes with brand new Quicke Q6

1675892211972.jpeg

Last edited:
   / Getting the wheel/tire combination I want on a new tractor #32  
Now you’re catching on ;)
It’ll cost you a few bucks, but tires last a long long time.
I have. Ever liked those skinny flexible sidewalk R1s that the companies offer in new tractors. The wide flotation with stiff sidewalls like you mention look pretty good.

/ Getting the wheel/tire combination I want on a new tractor #33  
The Euro style studded chains work excellently with R1's and I expect they would be even better on R14's.
I have similar chains, I don't think it matters much what type of tires are under them 😛

/ Getting the wheel/tire combination I want on a new tractor #34  
Thanks to everyone for the replies so far.
I wouldn't mind wider R-1s. The only downside is if I decide to plow snow with the tractor, I'll have to get ring chains so they won't fall between the bars, which aren't cheap for a good set.
I'll keep looking for dealers. I'm sure one will try to give the customer what they want.

My private road which I maintain rises 230' in about a little more than a quarter of a mile.
Pic shows what I mean.
As an aside, that's Mt. Washington NH in the distance.
5 nights ago, it broke the record for the lowest ever wind chill in the U.S., including Alaska.
-47 degrees with 90 mph wind for a -109 wind chill.
We only had -23 actual temp.

View attachment 783052
Pretty scenery there Hendey
Let me bust another myth here. You do not have to get specialized chains for ags. Ladder chains will do just fine. they look like they're falling between lugs but in reality, that's only at the top of the tire.
At the bottom, they're falling "out" of the lugs and are the first thing to contact surface. Just don't sock up your chains too tight.
I've been using ladder chains on my ags for years and they appreciably enhance traction plus they're only 4 link.
Whether in the woods skidding logs or plowing snow, they have been a big help.
Ladders on all fours (get 2 link for fronts) and the tractor becomes almost unstoppable.

Are they end all type of chain? Nope. But they get the job done.

Attachments

• PA234297.jpg
    PA234297.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 101
   / Getting the wheel/tire combination I want on a new tractor #35  
Pretty scenery there Hendey
Let me bust another myth here. You do not have to get specialized chains for ags. Ladder chains will do just fine. they look like they're falling between lugs but in reality, that's only at the top of the tire.
At the bottom, they're falling "out" of the lugs and are the first thing to contact surface. Just don't sock up your chains too tight.
I've been using ladder chains on my ags for years and they appreciably enhance traction plus they're only 4 link.
Whether in the woods skidding logs or plowing snow, they have been a big help.
Ladders on all fours (get 2 link for fronts) and the tractor becomes almost unstoppable.

Are they end all type of chain? Nope. But they get the job done.

Sorry but you are wrong!!!!!!!

Any chain is a good improvement over bare rubber of any kind.
However I have used most every style of tractor tire chain.
From 4 link spaced double ring chains to two link spaced alternating double ring and v bar reinforced, too two link spaced street and ice lugged chains, various dou grip or H patterned.

None of them will come even close to the studded Euro patterned tire chains;
the OFA's, the TRYGG's, the Aquiline Talon's.
The traction and ride quality are unmatched of these chains.

/ Getting the wheel/tire combination I want on a new tractor
Thanks to all again for the wisdom.
I've never seen chains like Lou shows with such short cross pieces but that would keep more metal on the ground.

You're probably right arrow. I used to have a Ford 8N I plowed with 30 years ago and it did a good job with ladder chains.
My older mentor back then told me put 1500 lbs. on the 3point hitch and you won't know it's the same tractor.

/ Getting the wheel/tire combination I want on a new tractor #38  
Off topic but that "awesome view" is similar to Hessian Hill in Parsonsfield. , looks like you're a bit to the NW from there? Very nice...

Thanks for the kind words CDBUG and Lou.
I'm in Norway so a bit north.

Attached is a picture of my Branson 4720 and I have my wheels out as far as they can go.
It feels much more stable when going sideways on a hill than when I got it with them tucked all the way in.
It's a big deal for me to have adjustable wheels.

tractorpic.jpg

/ Getting the wheel/tire combination I want on a new tractor #40  
The Euro style studded chains work excellently with R1's and I expect they would be even better on R14's.

I've never actually seen these before, they seem quite nice.