Getting the wheel/tire combination I want on a new tractor

/ Getting the wheel/tire combination I want on a new tractor #21  
After I saw Hay Dude's post I searched for 16.9-24 and found some. They run between ~$700 and $750 a tire. They were a few places. This one had choices. Not an endorsement as I have no idea if they are reputable.

I noticed that they do have wide widths in 10 ply rating. Could be worthwhile. Nothing at all like the factory R1 choice.

/ Getting the wheel/tire combination I want on a new tractor #22  
Good info, I am planning on placing my order in a couple of weeks. Spring Break starts the 10th of March and I am hoping I can time delivery for that week.

I wonder if I could have my dealer upgrade the tires to one of these? Essentially 'trade in' my brand new factory tires for a wide R1 with 8 ply. Wider stance is more comfortable (from a pucker factor at least) and you have a bit more float. For my applications, it may be a good balance between traction, stability and durability.
Hopefully you can get the dealer to do that. My experience is most are reluctant to change out tires on existing stock, but will order a machine the way you want it.

/ Getting the wheel/tire combination I want on a new tractor #23  
So....the rear tires on the 5145 OEM are R-4's on solid rims. I would check with another dealer and see what they can do. If all else fails - you might have to purchase split rims and have the R-4's mounted as an after market option.

I bought a Ford 1700, brand new, in 1982. It came, standard, with R-1's and split rims.

No question - the wider stance that split rims can provide is nice. I have the split rims on my rear tires set out at their widest stance. Front tires are set at "neutral" setting.

I've run six ply R-1's for 40+ years and never had a sidewall puncture problem. I'm in the land of basaltic lava. Sharp as a razor. Sure as heck will slice the V-bars on the tread if you spin your tires. Never had it get to the sidewalls.

/ Getting the wheel/tire combination I want on a new tractor #24  
Usually if you deal with an AG tractor dealer, they will do that sort of thing for you.
IMO, tires make/break the tractor. They are what drives the tractor across the ground, keep traction and keep you safe.

The wrong tires can make a tractor a frustrating piece of equipment.

When you order a tractor, let the salesman know how important tires are to you and you want the factory tires set aside for a credit against the tires you want, or sell the factory tires outright to someone once your perfect tires are installed.

I got lucky when I bought my Magnum that it was a European Magnum and already had mid-width rubber on it (and dead batteries :) )

The Magnum needed fronts and I found a pair of Goodyear Opti Trac 34’s with 50% tread for a great price

1675864411154.jpeg

Last edited:
   / Getting the wheel/tire combination I want on a new tractor
Thanks to everyone for the replies so far.
I wouldn't mind wider R-1s. The only downside is if I decide to plow snow with the tractor, I'll have to get ring chains so they won't fall between the bars, which aren't cheap for a good set.
I'll keep looking for dealers. I'm sure one will try to give the customer what they want.

My private road which I maintain rises 230' in about a little more than a quarter of a mile.
Pic shows what I mean.
As an aside, that's Mt. Washington NH in the distance.
5 nights ago, it broke the record for the lowest ever wind chill in the U.S., including Alaska.
-47 degrees with 90 mph wind for a -109 wind chill.
We only had -23 actual temp.

IMG_0466 - Copy.jpg

/ Getting the wheel/tire combination I want on a new tractor
Whenever you say spilt rim, every old guy thinks of the old widowmaker split rims that no shop will touch these days.

/ Getting the wheel/tire combination I want on a new tractor #27  
I don’t know if that’s true or not. One thing I do know, once you buy them you’re kind of stuck with them, so make sure you get what you want.
Ain't that the truth. I bought a used tractor with r3s one time and switched over to r1s to the tune of about $4,000

/ Getting the wheel/tire combination I want on a new tractor #28  
The dealer is incorrect.... an R4 rim is much wider / deeper. You cannot "turn them around or swap side to side

View attachment 782911
Vs. an R1 rim:

View attachment 782913

Don't forget the R4's are much wider to begin with. The new R14's fit on R4 rims and are also wider.
not true the 5145 manual states that the R4s can be swapped side to side for different width. for the 5145 the R1s give 1 additional option over the R4s but swapping them side to side is covered.

Attachments

• tire Pages from 7212021105848_5100_Series_Operator_Manual_4WD.pdf
    216.9 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
   / Getting the wheel/tire combination I want on a new tractor #29  
Thanks to everyone for the replies so far.
I wouldn't mind wider R-1s. The only downside is if I decide to plow snow with the tractor, I'll have to get ring chains so they won't fall between the bars, which aren't cheap for a good set.
I'll keep looking for dealers. I'm sure one will try to give the customer what they want.

My private road which I maintain rises 230' in about a little more than a quarter of a mile.
Pic shows what I mean.
As an aside, that's Mt. Washington NH in the distance.
5 nights ago, it broke the record for the lowest ever wind chill in the U.S., including Alaska.
-47 degrees with 90 mph wind for a -109 wind chill.
We only had -23 actual temp.

View attachment 783052
The Euro style studded chains work excellently with R1's and I expect they would be even better on R14's.
chains 4.jpg

/ Getting the wheel/tire combination I want on a new tractor #30  
I noticed that they do have wide widths in 10 ply rating. Could be worthwhile. Nothing at all like the factory R1 choice.
Now you’re catching on ;)
It’ll cost you a few bucks, but tires last a long long time.