Snow Attachments Getting ready for snow....

/ Getting ready for snow.... #1  

TerryinMD

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 4100 HST
I've been looking for an inexpensive way to get a front blade for the front of my JD 4100 without buying a new one from my dealer. So I took the auction route. I did a little research and found out that JD markets the same front blade for most of the smaller lawn and garden tractors and the 4100, 4010, 4115, and 2110. Well, almost.... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I went to an auction a few weeks back and was the proud winner of a slightly used 54" JD blade with both lift and angling hydralics - bonus. While doing my research, I thought that the mount was the same - NOT. After looking and playing and thinking - I was wrong. More research..... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I finally figure out the mess and find out that I need to replace the quick-tach mount on the blade and also that for the 4100, there is a special mount that is on the tractor. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Whoops - my bad!!!!

I figured that I might have to replace some hoses, quick disconnects, and the rubber squeegee on the blade. That was not a big deal. I briefly thought about modifying and designing the mounts. However, I would have to enlist the help of a neighbor and I didn't want to put him through the thought process. Plus, buying the metal to build these mounts would have been a bit expensive too.

Now let's pull up the JD Part catalog and begin to order some parts. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Well, to make a short story long... strike that... a long story short, I figured out what I needed and figured out the pricing!!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif The price of the absolutely necessary quick-tach mounts was more than I payed for the whole danged blade at the auction. I won't mention any figures as you people would probably start rolling on the floor laughing at my misfortune. Lessons learned!!! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Lucky for me, a neighbors nephew works at a JD dealer and is able to save me a few dollars off the cost of the expensive parts. Another fortunate find was a place on the Web called Hydralic Hose Fittings for my hydralic hoses. It took me about 8 hours to figure out what fittings I needed. JD was no help for the most part since they use a lot of internal terminology when explaining their parts. A neighbor was able to identify the types of fittings I would need so I could complete the search. NPTs, JICs, ORBs, etc. make your head hurt. Not including worrying about PSI's, OSI stuff, etc. Anywho, this site is very good and they have a FAQ and help page that explains what all this stuff is. I was able to order exactly the lengths of hose and fittings required and save more than 50% off the cost of JD OEM parts.

The point of the story is you can sometimes save money at the auction but sometimes you can't. I guess the best way of looking at this experience is to say that I learned something about hydralics and now know better on how to research used equipment before shaking my bidder number at the auctioneer.

But to be honest... it's been a fun project. Now, I hope all of the parts and pieces are here before any appreciable snow comes - like this coming weekend!!!!

Terry

/ Getting ready for snow.... #2  
Good story Terry, thanks for sharing. In the end though, how much did you still save over buying the whole blade new?

/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Getting ready for snow.... #3  
Yeah, I asked about maybe welding a 4 bolt gizmo onto a plate that would replace my bucket on my 410 loader and allow me to bolt on my 48" Gravely snow blade. The part that is just the plate that attaches to the loader lift arms with a couple of pins is $800 on JD's parts list.

Of course, a Curtis plow to attach in place of the loader bucket is about $2,400. You can buy a whole blade with arms and all for around $1,300. Have to remove the whole loader assembly, hydraulic hoses, etc. to use the cheaper one.

Think I'll stick to my Gravely and JD with FEL as backup for the time being.

Ralph

/ Getting ready for snow.... #4  
Be careful ordering anythng from HydraulicHoseFittings.com. You can do a search on TBN for them and see for yourself the recent problems others have had. My last order from them was last August or so and I had no problems but others who have ordered since have had numerous non-delivery and non-response issues. Just ask Henro. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Try Discount Hydraulic Hose instead. You will talk to a real person who can answer your questions and pricing will be about the same.

/ Getting ready for snow....
Robs,

How much did I save? Well, like I mentioned in the post you guys would probably laugh yourselves silly. I'm figuring maybe $100 - if I'm lucky. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Hmmm... maybe I should have done a search regarding the hydraulic hose site but I stumbled onto it while Googling and couldn't resist their pricing structure. I called the guy late last week and he said that everything looked fine regarding the order and would have it shipped out as soon as possible. I called again on Tuesday and he said that the shipment was sent on Monday. I asked for Priority mail so that means I should have it maybe tomorrow.

After reading some of the comments, I'm beginning to wonder if the hoses come after the snow storm this weekend. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Well, at least I have my FEL. All I need to do is remove the toothbar and I'm ready. But gee whiz, I really did want to have a front blade with hydralics to push the snow around. Especially when there's a small amount of snow. The FEL works, but it has it's limits.

Terry