Generac LP generator didn't start up when needed today

/ Generac LP generator didn't start up when needed today #21  
Helping a neighbor woman.

We had a bit of breeze blow through, with power out for about 7 hours. She depends on her Generac 15kw LP gas unit to self start.

It didn't today. She called me tonight for help and advice. The unit shuts down with "excessive cranking" fault.

I'm going over tomorrow to put in spark plugs, adjust the valve lash and check the air cleaner condition.

The unit is about 8 years old , doesn't see a lot of use, gets an annual oil change, with a new battery this time last year. It is set for the weekly auto run exercise, but I don't know how it has been functioning in that regard. It needs a hobbs run time meter ;-)

I'm not much for LP gas IC engine subtlies, good suggestions welcome.

tia

Make sure all the valves are open on the fuel side. Will it manual start? On my NG 16kw all I have to to is select manual and it will start. Also a low propane level or obstruction can produce low or no pressure in the fuel line.

/ Generac LP generator didn't start up when needed today #22  
Checking any fuel valves would be my first check.

Usualy engine valves dont go out of adjustment just from sitting there.

/ Generac LP generator didn't start up when needed today #23  
Based on my experience with my Generac whole house generator:

- still check the battery. There is a built in trickle charger, so voltage (not running) should be about 13.5v. My trickle charger went bad a few years ago and had to be replaced; it was actually killing my battery

- there is a screw in fuse right on the control panel that needs to be good to start.

- make sure she has fuel/pressure

- mine was having long cranks with no start on the first crank set. Would usually start on the second cranks set. The valves were out of adjustment. Was better after the valves were adjusted

- make sure the battery is the proper one and has sufficient cca痴. Generac recommends 450 cca I think; I like to go higher. I have one in there at 540 I think.

/ Generac LP generator didn't start up when needed today #24  
I just got thru fixing one 5 minutes ago. I opened air cleaner box and saw stepper motor was not moving choke plate. I was just getting ready to replace it when I noticed the return spring had only slipped out of the notch. Reset it and she’s running great again.

/ Generac LP generator didn't start up when needed today #25  
I have the exact same unit for the house and a diesel genset for the barns. 24 comments and no one mentioned the obvious..

Check the oil Generac's have touchy low oil shutdown sensors and the excessive crank fault tells me it's close to being low on oil. Ignition os solid state and running on propane or NG, spark plugs will last a very long time.

The Generac 'Industrial' V twin is in reality a lawnmower engine, nothing 'industrial' with therm at all except maybe an external oil cooler. and Generac's have a habit of using more oil than normal, I've had mine do the 'excessive crank' thing before. It's always an oil issue. Starting battery is trickle charged as long as there is line power.

Keep it simple, top off the oil and try it again. People comment without knowing the unit. I do, I own one.

/ Generac LP generator didn't start up when needed today #26  
I have the exact same unit for the house and a diesel genset for the barns. 24 comments and no one mentioned the obvious..

Check the oil Generac's have touchy low oil shutdown sensors and the excessive crank fault tells me it's close to being low on oil. Ignition os solid state and running on propane or NG, spark plugs will last a very long time.

The Generac 'Industrial' V twin is in reality a lawnmower engine, nothing 'industrial' with therm at all except maybe an external oil cooler. and Generac's have a habit of using more oil than normal, I've had mine do the 'excessive crank' thing before. It's always an oil issue. Starting battery is trickle charged as long as there is line power.

Keep it simple, top off the oil and try it again. People comment without knowing the unit. I do, I own one.
except most of what you just said is not true. while a generator will shut down for lack of oil, he would have seen the low oil pressure light, not the cranking fault. that fault comes on after 4 failed starts. Its NOT a lawnmower motor, its a specifically built generator motor. design built and made in usa. ive seen the factory. As for the burns oil ...the older units pre 2010 were not too good with oil burn, but ive never had any issues with the 100's and 100's of post 2010 units i service..heck i just finished my 40th service call in the past 2-1/2 weeks. All were working just fine except 1 with a dead battery. The 14 kw units do tend to leak a bit of oil ive noticed...nothing extreme, but just not tight. I always pull the dip stick before any service, and i rarely see a drop below full. very rarely.

/ Generac LP generator didn't start up when needed today #27  
except most of what you just said is not true. while a generator will shut down for lack of oil, he would have seen the low oil pressure light, not the cranking fault. that fault comes on after 4 failed starts. Its NOT a lawnmower motor, its a specifically built generator motor. design built and made in usa. ive seen the factory. As for the burns oil ...the older units pre 2010 were not too good with oil burn, but ive never had any issues with the 100's and 100's of post 2010 units i service..heck i just finished my 40th service call in the past 2-1/2 weeks. All were working just fine except 1 with a dead battery. The 14 kw units do tend to leak a bit of oil ive noticed...nothing extreme, but just not tight. I always pull the dip stick before any service, and i rarely see a drop below full. very rarely.

I've been told by an electrician I know, he believes that the Kohler units are of better quality. Do you have any opinion on that?

/ Generac LP generator didn't start up when needed today #28  

How does one do a valve adjustment? Thanks for all and any help.

/ Generac LP generator didn't start up when needed today #29  
I had a generator at my last house that wouldn’t start reliably if the oil level wasn’t right. It would crank and sometimes start but if the level was too low it would cut the ignition out and she wouldn’t run.

/ Generac LP generator didn't start up when needed today #30  
Helping a neighbor woman.

We had a bit of breeze blow through, with power out for about 7 hours. She depends on her Generac 15kw LP gas unit to self start.

It didn't today. She called me tonight for help and advice. The unit shuts down with "excessive cranking" fault.

I'm going over tomorrow to put in spark plugs, adjust the valve lash and check the air cleaner condition.

The unit is about 8 years old , doesn't see a lot of use, gets an annual oil change, with a new battery this time last year. It is set for the weekly auto run exercise, but I don't know how it has been functioning in that regard. It needs a hobbs run time meter ;-)

I'm not much for LP gas IC engine subtlies, good suggestions welcome.

tia

NEW battery.