Generac LP generator didn't start up when needed today

/ Generac LP generator didn't start up when needed today #1  

CalG

Tractor
Hurlimann 435, Fordson E27n, Bolens HT-23, Kubota B7200
Helping a neighbor woman.

We had a bit of breeze blow through, with power out for about 7 hours. She depends on her Generac 15kw LP gas unit to self start.

It didn't today. She called me tonight for help and advice. The unit shuts down with "excessive cranking" fault.

I'm going over tomorrow to put in spark plugs, adjust the valve lash and check the air cleaner condition.

The unit is about 8 years old , doesn't see a lot of use, gets an annual oil change, with a new battery this time last year. It is set for the weekly auto run exercise, but I don't know how it has been functioning in that regard. It needs a hobbs run time meter ;-)

I'm not much for LP gas IC engine subtlies, good suggestions welcome.

tia

/ Generac LP generator didn't start up when needed today #2  
I heard this alot, about LP units not starting, but mostly in the cold. But some EXPERTS on here say this is not the case. What were the temps?

You can't mistake one of those things running. She didn't hear it excercise?

/ Generac LP generator didn't start up when needed today #3  
Good neighbor: You call that a breeze? 10s of thousands lost power in New England and the Maritime provinces. I do not have propane fuel experience, but I think you are on the right track...air cooled engines need spark-air-fuel. In addition to those maybe confirm the choke is not stuck on - yes, I know that is part of air but I am not sure how auto-start engines handle that.

/ Generac LP generator didn't start up when needed today
Good neighbor: You call that a breeze? 10s of thousands lost power in New England and the Maritime provinces. I do not have propane fuel experience, but I think you are on the right track...air cooled engines need spark-air-fuel. In addition to those maybe confirm the choke is not stuck on - yes, I know that is part of air but I am not sure how auto-start engines handle that.

Is there a choke on LP fueled systems?

/ Generac LP generator didn't start up when needed today #5  
   / Generac LP generator didn't start up when needed today #8  
Way back when I worked on medium duty trucks and some were propane. They had a "choke" lever attached to the primer button on the regulator and that helped them start. Do these small engines have a primer button on the regulator?

Way back when I worked on medium duty trucks and some were propane. They had a "choke" lever attached to the primer button on the regulator and that helped them start. Do these small engines have a primer button on the regulator?

Even if it did have a primer button, the gal is not inclined to go out to the barn and mess with the generator. The side panels would need to be removed to access anything engine related. That takes tools, she doesn't do "tools" ;-) It's supposed to be "auto-magic.

From what I read, overly rich is more an issue with LP gas starting poorly than is fuel deficient. Is that likely?

/ Generac LP generator didn't start up when needed today #10  
I would take a spark tester, before I ever touched the plugs. Is this thing a twin cylinder, 1800 Liquid Cooled or 3600 RPM Air Cooled machine. The fact that you said, it's in the barn, may suggest it's not some air cooled screamer.