Generac extended warranty

/ Generac extended warranty #1  

orezok

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800
I've receivd both mailed and email offers from Generac to extend the warranty on my 8K standby to ten years. My original two year warranty expired April of last year.

Upon closely reading the terms and conditions of the extended warranty, it reestablishes the original warranty to a 10 year term. Since I'm now 3 years since that original warranty started, the "ten year warranty extension" offer only extends my warranty for 7 more years.

I think advertising a "Ten year warranty" extension borders on fraud.

/ Generac extended warranty #2  
That sounds rather misleading to me, too. It might be a good deal, tho. A few months ago a neighbor's Generac bit the dust after about three years of use. The estimate for repairs exceeded the cost of a new one, as I recall. He found a diesel generator he liked better.

/ Generac extended warranty #3  
I got the same mailing last week but threw it out. I installed an 11K unit at this house when I moved in 2 1/2 years ago. Did the same at my last house and the generator was still running fine after 12 years. Just do the scheduled maintenance on it and you should be fine. I don't recall the exact amount but I had sticker shock with an over $800 cost for their extended warranty. That amount of money buys a lot of oil, filters and spark plugs.

/ Generac extended warranty #4  
The 10 year warranty was added as a freebie/sales incentive about the time we had our 22kw installed last year (via Costco). We sent in the paperwork after everything was finished/paid for & got it for zero dollars - just have to maintain normal service & maintenance during the covered period. Covers parts & labor.

Nick