GC1725MB in my future?

/ GC1725MB in my future? #1  

blacktruck

Gold Member
Tractor
Cub cadet 2450, JD 420, Ford LGT18H
Been a member here for awhile but not a post(er?). I have had a sub-compact tractor of another color for a decade and seriously considering a Massey this time. Also in contention is the Deere 1025R and not as high on the list but definitely on the list is the LS MT125 (?). So far the Massey is the mid point on the $$ scale. Has anyone on this forum had any issues with their tractors? All three tractors look pretty well matched but I do like the design of the outriggers on the Massey and the availability of a mechanical thumb for the hoe. Anyone have any thoughts or comparisons they can talk about for these tractors? I'm not interested in a bigger tractor or even having a cab. Reliability and functionality along with a good dealer are the critical items to me.

Last edited:
   / GC1725MB in my future? #2  
Been a member here for awhile but not a post(er?). I have had a sub-compact tractor of another color for a decade and seriously considering a Massey this time. Also in contention is the Deere 1025R and not as high on the list but definitely on the list is the LS MT125 (?). So far the Massey is the mod point on the $$ scale. Has anyone on this forum had any issues with their tractors? All three tractors look pretty well matched but I do like the design of the outriggers on the Massey and the availability of a mechanical thumb for the hoe. Anyone have any thoughts or comparisons they can talk about for these tractors? I'm not interested in a bigger tractor or even having a cab. Reliability and functionality along with a good dealer are the critical items to me.
I have a GC1710TLB. You'd have to pry the keys off of my dead body to get it away from me. The only issues I've ever had with my MF was self inflicted wounds/operator error. (Pinched a backhoe hose and ruptured it not paying attention). My dad has a BX and when folks ask him he readily says he likes his BX but also check out MF too as he's so impressed with my machine (and uses it sometime, mine has more HP).

The one thing a 1025R has that no other sub compact tractor has is position control on the 3 point system. The only thing you can do on a MF, Kubota, Yanmar, etc etc etc to match is put check chains on the 3pt arms so they fall to the same height each time. This never bothered me personally but it's worth noting. 1025R's autoconnect system for mower deck and loader is neat but isn't without some level of off-tractor manual setup aftwards. (Setting the deck wheels on mower, hydraulic connectors on FEL). Also, the SSQA available on many other tractors including MF is more universal than the JDQA on a John Deere if you aimed to use numerous attachments on the FEL.

And just because I like to hang the carrot in the stick. Backhoe thumbs are pretty nice to have. This factory mounted aftermarket BXpanded thumb is a monster.

Best of luck in your great tractor hunt! IMG_20190602_151520.jpg

/ GC1725MB in my future?
Thank you sir for your response. Funny but I had thought the same of the JD auto connect. The only thing I could see that eliminated was sliding it under the tractor for the most part and also I had seen the comments about the JD quick attach being a proprietary thing that only works for them. Two things I am really leaning towards is the designed in thumb on the hoe and the proximity of the dealer to my home. I would do most of my own services but just peace of mind having access to a long time MF dealer within a few miles of home. I currently have a Cub Cadet SC2450 that has been a good tractor. I bought it new and about two years later CC and Yanmar split and the dealer doesn't know me now. Yea, it's time to find a tractor that is supported by a dealer again. I have to admit that I do not need a new tractor but more of a want a new tractor. The good Lord willing I hope to retire in the coming year and looking forward to having a new tractor to spend some time on.

/ GC1725MB in my future? #4  
Been a member here for awhile but not a post(er?). I have had a sub-compact tractor of another color for a decade and seriously considering a Massey this time. Also in contention is the Deere 1025R and not as high on the list but definitely on the list is the LS MT125 (?). So far the Massey is the mid point on the $$ scale. Has anyone on this forum had any issues with their tractors? All three tractors look pretty well matched but I do like the design of the outriggers on the Massey and the availability of a mechanical thumb for the hoe. Anyone have any thoughts or comparisons they can talk about for these tractors? I'm not interested in a bigger tractor or even having a cab. Reliability and functionality along with a good dealer are the critical items to me.

I'm definitely happy with my GC1710. But the LS does have some cool features that GC tractors don't. Like little footies on the front loader stands (for when you detach it). Also, I like how the hydro lines for the loader attach downward as opposed to sideways, makes it easier to attach them. The boom pin on the backhoe is a lever you could reach from the seat, that's very nice. There's a few other things. Too bad LS tractors are an ugly color, though. :D

Check out Tony's tractor adventure on Youtube, he's got a bunch of vids about his MT125.

Another tractor to check out is the RK. Those that have them seem to like them, and I know they're cheaper than MF. Downside is dealer support, currently that seems to be fairly lacking. So if that's important to you, I guess that's out.

/ GC1725MB in my future?
I will admit to having a weakness for the old Ford blue so there is that. I do like the looks of the LS models and some of their features. My main concern presently is the lack of a dealer close to where I live and as a secondly the location of the joy stick. On my current tractor it is mounted on the top forward part of the right fender. Perfect location in my book. I don't like the cowl mounted sticks. I agree on the RK tractors. They are made by TYM I think. They are a long time builder of tractors for other companies. I do like the prices and the features of the tractor to be sure. There is a dealer about three hours or so from home. I plan to stop by there on my trip to home just to satisfy my curiosity if nothing else. I've seen Tony's videos and that was where I decided to add them to the list when coming up with likely candidates for a purchase.

/ GC1725MB in my future? #6  
I will admit to having a weakness for the old Ford blue so there is that. I do like the looks of the LS models and some of their features. My main concern presently is the lack of a dealer close to where I live and as a secondly the location of the joy stick. On my current tractor it is mounted on the top forward part of the right fender. Perfect location in my book. I don't like the cowl mounted sticks. I agree on the RK tractors. They are made by TYM I think. They are a long time builder of tractors for other companies. I do like the prices and the features of the tractor to be sure. There is a dealer about three hours or so from home. I plan to stop by there on my trip to home just to satisfy my curiosity if nothing else. I've seen Tony's videos and that was where I decided to add them to the list when coming up with likely candidates for a purchase.
RK's are infact rebranded TYM tractors. I would just get a TYM for the dealer support at that point. Last I looked New Holland small tractors are rebranded LS machines so again, I'd just get an LS instead. TYM and LS are both Korean. MF GC's are rebranded Iseki machines similar to Cub Cadets rebranded Yanmar tractors. Yanmar, Kubota, and Iseki are all well thought of high quality Japanese brands. I don't believe iseki sells head to head in the US market against MF machines. Unlike the unfortunate Yanmar/mtd situation that led to the demise of Cub Cadet Yanmar tractors Iseki and AGCO(MF parent) have a 30ish year partnership and each makes machines to fill out the others lineup in an enormous long standing partnership.

/ GC1725MB in my future?
It is sort of sad that none of the subcompact tractors marketed in the US are built in the US. Many years ago we did have the larger garden tractors and utility tractors built here but as the lines blurred on those definitions and marketing made us want a subcompact and then we lost those parts of the markets. I have had a foreign built tractor for a long time and have not had any issues with build quality so having another be it from Korea or Japan or some other place is just a fact of life if you want one in that category. I had not checked on the Ford/New Holland tractors. We used to have a good dealer in the area and they sadly went away a few years ago. The replacement dealer is too far and not a friendly place like the old dealership. I should have assumed those and the LS were the same under the paint. I bought a new Cub Cadet/Yanmar the year before they split not knowing this was on the horizon. After that the dealer ceased to support anything they had sold so that brings me to this quest again. I do like the MF because of the features I have seen and they are supported by a long term dealer in my area. I haven't made a decision on a brand yet but still looking. I am still at three on the short list after replacing JD with the RK model. I don't know that we would see any of these tractors become the 8-N's or Farmall M's of the classic tractor world but I think they will outlast most of the original owners by a far piece with any sort of maintenance.

/ GC1725MB in my future? #8  
John Deere is designed and engineered here then sourced for parts. A couple Asian brands assemble here from parts abroad. All in all everything is global now to some degree.

/ GC1725MB in my future? #9  
I had a 2014 GC1710, sold it at 560hrs. Zero issues with it. When I sold it the backhoe weeped a bit at the block.

Replaced it with a 2019 GC1723e. Very happy so far at 65 hrs. It does have an intermittent fuel gauge issue (shows full al the time).

I upgraded for the better lift, breakout force, SSQA, ergonomics and
Drive over deck.

Didn’t look anywhere else.

JDs proprietary QA was not appealing at all.