Garden Seed

/ Garden Seed #1  

RSKY

Veteran Member
Kentucky, West of the Lakes, South of Possum Trot.
Tractor
Kioti CK20S
I found out last week that I am putting out three gardens instead of one. Both daughters want one. So I spent the weekend inventorying my seed supply and looking online for seeds.

Apparently everybody on quarantine has the same idea.

Some online seed sellers are not taking orders for a few days to get caught up on shipping. Many have nothing remaining of the items I want. So this afternoon I will drive 25 miles to a Southern States CO-OP instead of ordering online. It will be cheaper but I really don't want to go into the store as there are some corona virus cases in that town.

Just a warning if you need garden seed. Go ahead and purchase/order what you need while they are available. Online sellers did not expect the deluge of orders they have.

RSKY

/ Garden Seed #2  
You may be able to call in your order and meet them at the door. I placed my order when people started hoarding toilet paper... I already have greens up and will be starting more in the greenhouse as soon as I get some boxes made.

/ Garden Seed #3  
Wife always gets ours ordered in January/early Feb. This year, she added more to the orders. I did buy some stuff local at our county farm co-op, including a couple bags of seed potatoes. We'll be growing extra of everything this year anticipating more local needs.

/ Garden Seed #4  
got my seed early an usually have leftoves but not thisyear. potatoes are up peas are up onions in and garlic will be harvested in 2 months. grape buds are shotting out too. yes the seed place i have been usiing exclusively the last few years was out and had to do some catchup and reopened. when i check some stuff out to get a few more packets many were out again.

/ Garden Seed #5  
We happened to keep all of our prescription bottles for the last year (Tylenol also)
I put this years seed (still in the packs) into the bottles.

No spilling, no mixing, and the seeds should stay dry,, everything is labeled, and easy to read.

I should have been saving the desiccant packs, to force the seeds to stay dry.

I did not have enough for the flower seeds,, they will have to fend for themselves,,,

/ Garden Seed #6  
I save back viable seeds from stuff I grow, started that when I found a particular cherry tomato that I like. Was sitting pretty good on seeds, and earlier this month there was a seed exchange at the local food bank, along with a repair fair. I volunteer at the repair fairs, so I got some seeds that I didn't have already, or got different varieties of what I had. They were just retail packages like you'd find at the grocery store or Bi-Mart, but tables full of boxes of them. All last years sell by dates, but that shouldn't really matter.

/ Garden Seed #7  
I keep my seeds in the envelopes and packs they are bought in, and store them all jammed into mason jars in the back of my fridge. I keep them sealed with canning rings and lids so they stay dry. I only take them out to inventory before season, and then again when I plant. Then they are all packed back into the jars until next season. I try to keep the packs organized, rubber banded together in similar types that I usually plant on the same day or in the same area of the garden. That saves time when sorting through them. I'd guess my seeds twice as long this way compared to how I used to store them, in a dry area on a shelf.