Defective fireworks....I REALLY got in trouble on this one.

/ Defective fireworks....I REALLY got in trouble on this one. #1  

RSKY

Veteran Member
Kentucky, West of the Lakes, South of Possum Trot.
Tractor
Kioti CK20S
Well..., the fireworks I bought Tuesday (see post about getting in trouble) were looked at and admired by all the thirty or so people at our house Tuesday afternoon, July 3rd. For a change we had our 'both sides' Fourth of July celebration a day early because one son in law had to work the fourth (fireman) and the other daughter had to go into work early the fifth.

Anyway, back to the story.

The fireworks were in this big package with two mortars. The first one I dropped in and lit didn't go off. After about five minutes I walked up and could see the fuse with no smoke. So we took it out, trimmed the fuse and dropped it back in. Lit it and ran. It got maybe thirty feet up and exploded! It was one of the big starburst types and the star was bigger than my entire back yard! Somehow nobody got hit but the shop and garden plants were not so lucky.

So we moved the mortar out to the fence at the end of the yard and tried another from a different part of the package. It made it a little higher but the explosion, instead of being a couple hundred feet high, still sent part of the starburst into the ground.

The third attempt was with the mortar WAY out in the field behind the house. That one might have made it ten feet out of the tube before it exploded.

SO...

I took the package back to the tent dealer I had bought it from. They said the package was their best seller and that they had people coming in and buying their second or third package. So they gave me another package and his wife was on the phone telling somebody about the problem as I was leaving. Gonna try the new one tonight with nobody else around and see what happens.

RSKY

/ Defective fireworks....I REALLY got in trouble on this one. #2  
Sounds like you had plenty of excitement!!!

/ Defective fireworks....I REALLY got in trouble on this one. #3  
They wanted a show.....

/ Defective fireworks....I REALLY got in trouble on this one. #4  
Which mortar was that?

(brown salute comes to mind!) :laughing:

We went to a show last night and one of the big shells burst right out of the tube. Went about 150' in all directions at ground level.... guys with the railroad flares just kept on lighting more like it was nothing.

/ Defective fireworks....I REALLY got in trouble on this one. #5  
I remember as a kid when the tub starting to crud up. I had one sheel explode 10' above the ground level. That got the heart pumping when I see it go up just a little and sit there for a moment before exploding.

/ Defective fireworks....I REALLY got in trouble on this one. #6  
I have lit off a few small mortars the past few years. Only had one not make it out of the tube, and I was real glad it was far away from everyone. That exploding tube sent some big pieces in all directions. 6 shells per year for 4 years and one critical failure. Sounds like your batch got damaged or had a bad day at the factory.

/ Defective fireworks....I REALLY got in trouble on this one. #7  
simple facts; consumer fireworks are a combination of explosives and horendously shoddy Chineese manufacturing. What could possibly go wrong?

/ Defective fireworks....I REALLY got in trouble on this one. #8  
to be honest it sounds like it got wet, that seems to be what happens, they don't go very far, we have been shooting heavy duty fireworks for years.

/ Defective fireworks....I REALLY got in trouble on this one. #9  
simple facts; consumer fireworks are a combination of explosives and horendously shoddy Chineese manufacturing. What could possibly go wrong?

That's why other than sparklers last night, I dumped a couple of mags without cans for noise and called it a night LOL