Garage lean-to

/ Garage lean-to #1  

Jimmy Joe

Gold Member
I want to add an enclosed lean-to to my garage with a concrete floor. It is right next to a steep bank, so I am considering putting down several inches of pea gravel under the slab. My thinking is any water that gets under the slab can drain out the side of the bank to prevent heaving. Would this be a good idea or maybe not necessary?

/ Garage lean-to #2  
Would there be any erosion problems under the slab?

/ Garage lean-to
Would there be any erosion problems under the slab?
I never considered that maybe water would flow under and wash out some of the fill, that would be very possible as I have no rain gutters on garage.

/ Garage lean-to #4  
Just my opinion but here is what I would do. Install a retaining wall a few feet from the foundation and put a drain tile at the base. Then use fill rock (3/8 to 1 inch) and not pea gravel. Pea gravel is not stable.

/ Garage lean-to #5  
some pictures would give a better idea of whats going on.

/ Garage lean-to
I'll try to get some pictures but my wife will have to help, I'm terrible at getting them on the computer.

/ Garage lean-to #7  
You have to be careful that what you use for draining water doesn't do the opposite and provide a place for water.

I would build up the ground so it was solid and provided a gentle slope for water to drain away. If I couldn't do that, then I would build a retaining wall far enough away from the walls that if I had to work on it for some reason, it wouldn't affect the building. Or if I couldn't do that, I would look into pier and beam construction.

Eddie