Oil & Fuel FX24 Suddenly Refuses to Start

/ FX24 Suddenly Refuses to Start #11  
Picture #1 bleed screw is right above the cutoff valve handle.

Posting a picture of the cutoff valve. #1 in parts drawing. You should try cleaning it first, if that doesn't work you might consider what others have done in this thread. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/yanmar/303927-y17-three-cylinder-not-cranking-2.html

It looks just like the picture Winston posted. Its small black can right below the plastic fuel bowl on your second pic.
Try tapping it with a SMALL hammer while the key is on. If that does not work, try to move the arm on the back of it with your fingers, (while the key is on)
Also, the wires coming out from the side may of worked lose, try unplugging it, cleaning the connector and plug it back together.
Careful with your fingers in case it engages.

Last edited:
   / FX24 Suddenly Refuses to Start #12  
Good to hear from you tractorErnie. We have been missing your vast knowledge. Do you really have all those tractors with you in the Bahamas? :D

/ FX24 Suddenly Refuses to Start
More good news/bad news this morning. Good news is, a couple of light raps on the solenoid with the end of a screwdriver restored it to a functioning state. Tractor started up.

Bad news is, it blew a bunch of white smoke for about 2 seconds and then died, and no amount of fiddling with it afterwards would produce a different result. I've now managed to kill the battery, and jumper cables between the tractor and my truck for half an hour did nothing to help (which sounds like a jumper cable problem to me). I have no idea where my battery charger is and couldn't find it after several minutes of looking, so I called it quits for the day.

I am guessing the white smoke indicates some kind of continued fuel system problem. Nothing happened when I cracked the bleeder screw on the filter bowl. Couldn't locate a bleeder screw on the fuel pump, but I did locate the little priming lever on the smaller pump unit and operated it a few times before firing the engine. No idea whether it was good/bad/indifferent to the process.

/ FX24 Suddenly Refuses to Start #14  
If you are confident the fuel shut off solenoid is functioning properly then I would guess you have air in your system. Always start bleeding air at the filter first and then work your way toward the pump. If you crack the lines at the top of the injector pumps and get no fuel it will not crank.

/ FX24 Suddenly Refuses to Start #15  
Good to hear from you tractorErnie. We have been missing your vast knowledge. Do you really have all those tractors with you in the Bahamas? :D

No, they wouldn't fit in the boat, more details down the road.....

/ FX24 Suddenly Refuses to Start
Okay, I'm back in business. Put the charger on the battery overnight and she fired right up this morning. I did have to whack the solenoid again mid-day after a lunch break, but it started right up again after that. Looks like I'm in good shape for now. I'll either need to repair or replace that solenoid at some point, but it's not an emergency.

Thanks to all of you for your help.

/ FX24 Suddenly Refuses to Start #17  
your white smoke most likely was a result of the fuel shut off/on rod not traveling all the way open/on. next time it fails try to help it manually and see what happens. good luck