Full throttle Stihl startup

/ Full throttle Stihl startup #21  
How does physics, specifically thermal energy transfer, work? :eek:

Heat transfer to the gear case in 2 to 3 minutes of idling is negligible IMHO. I can calculate it for you if you want.

/ Full throttle Stihl startup #22  
My new Stihl Weed Eater and Pole saw are both 2 cycle 4 stroke engines that both will only start with the throttle wide open. I am unsure of this new 4 stroke 2 cycle engine but time will tell. They use mix'd gas but only fire on the 4th stroke. My older Stihl Saws do start at full throttle too. There is the choke and it pops once, Then the next setting makes it run wide open until you click the trigger. Then it idles while it warms up. I don't think my saws would start at idle.

All my saws will start at idle after they are warmed up. Any saw in good tune should do it. Nothign torques me more that to have to fool around with the controls to get a saw started after setting it down for a few seconds. Happens but I don't like it :( I do have one old, old saw that will not start easily if the tank is less than half full, otherwise it is switch on, one pull (warm).

Harry K

/ Full throttle Stihl startup #23  
Any owners of newer Stihls know how to start them at idle speed. Especially in the brush, Im not a fan of the OEM full throttle setup.:(

I'm not a fan of that, either. On my Stihl MS361 I found I can get a reliable idle start this way:
1) Set switch at the 4th position/all the way down (choked) and pull cord (it never starts).
2) Set switch all the way up (off).
3) Set switch on second second position (run) and pull until it starts - usually 3 or 4 tugs.
This works for me with my saw - your results may vary.
Oh, and don't forget to use Stabil or similar gas treatment!
-Jim

/ Full throttle Stihl startup #24  
Fixemall said:
No, so sometimes "adjustments" are needed...
4 stroking is just a reference to the point of richness where it breaks up enough to loose power strokes every second pass, thus "four strokes" is more of a loose term...however, I did hear if you adjust on em enough, valves and a cam may actually appear:laughing:

Never heard it called that before. We called it "missing" or in the specific case of missing due to an overly rich condition we called it "loading up."

/ Full throttle Stihl startup #25  
my echo leaf blower is the same way as your mantis tiller, it will only start at idle, and will just stall if you open it up until it is warmed up. I think I will have to play with the carb some time.