Full throttle Stihl startup

/ Full throttle Stihl startup #11  
You are mostly warming it up to protect the gearbox components, as far as tuning a two stroke there is only one proper way...run at WOT and turn the H screw open till it 4 strokes and then turn it back slowly till it stops 4 stroking, as far as the L, it should be set so a non warmed engine won't stumble when the throttle is blipped. I know others use tachs etc but I have done it by ear for over 20 years.

OK, i'll bite . . what are you talking about when you say "4 strokes"?

And you've only done it for 20 years; must be a youngster. I've been doing it for over 50 years.:laughing: And yep, this little Mantis is different from anything I've had in the past.

/ Full throttle Stihl startup #12  
You are mostly warming it up to protect the gearbox components, as far as tuning a two stroke there is only one proper way...run at WOT and turn the H screw open till it 4 strokes and then turn it back slowly till it stops 4 stroking, as far as the L, it should be set so a non warmed engine won't stumble when the throttle is blipped. I know others use tachs etc but I have done it by ear for over 20 years.

Can the new saws with EPA mandated tuning/limiter caps even be richened to the point of 4 stroking?

Harry K

/ Full throttle Stihl startup #13  

And you've only done it for 20 years; must be a youngster. I've been doing it for over 50 years.:laughing: And yep, this little Mantis is different from anything I've had in the past.

At least I found on the Internet other places that talk about 4 stroking; never heard it called that before. Just one more thing I've learned on TBN.:D

/ Full throttle Stihl startup #14  
I wear ear plugs every time I use my Stihl stuff (pole pruner, blower, trimmer); Just can't stand the noise any more. Ear also plugs help me not mind the full throttle starts as much.

/ Full throttle Stihl startup #15  
Can the new saws with EPA mandated tuning/limiter caps even be richened to the point of 4 stroking?

Harry K

You can after you break the plastic limiters off! :laughing: I despise those things!

/ Full throttle Stihl startup #16  

The gear box is not turning at idle so you aren't warming anything up except the clutch. :laughing:

/ Full throttle Stihl startup #17  

Harry K

No, so sometimes "adjustments" are needed...
4 stroking is just a reference to the point of richness where it breaks up enough to loose power strokes every second pass, thus "four strokes" is more of a loose term...however, I did hear if you adjust on em enough, valves and a cam may actually appear:laughing:

/ Full throttle Stihl startup #18  

Wish I was younger, worked in a salvage yard and as a mechanic in my younger years, then went into the corporate world for a long time, hated it! Finally got out when my health and marriage failed, best cure was to move onto acreage, back to turning wrenches and raise some animals...I still have a lot to learn though, we stop living when we stop learning...

/ Full throttle Stihl startup #20  
My new Stihl Weed Eater and Pole saw are both 2 cycle 4 stroke engines that both will only start with the throttle wide open. I am unsure of this new 4 stroke 2 cycle engine but time will tell. They use mix'd gas but only fire on the 4th stroke. My older Stihl Saws do start at full throttle too. There is the choke and it pops once, Then the next setting makes it run wide open until you click the trigger. Then it idles while it warms up. I don't think my saws would start at idle.