Fuel Stabilizer for new Z Turn

/ Fuel Stabilizer for new Z Turn #21  
Will use the startron products if I need to for long term storage, and seems to act like a carb cleaner in my experience. Have used the Seafoam in the past will good results, but they changed the formulation on it due to EPA involvement and was never the same after that. I have found the crystal formations in the fuel bowl myself over the years, and the looks on the customers face when they pick up their mower and I say " I see you have been using Sta-bil"
I've seen the red flakes too. Though when asked, they were also floating in the bottom of the old bottle of Stabil. I had a carb once that was pink inside. Couldn't clean it. Apparently when you add a whole bottle to a walk behind . . . I personally do not believe that a bottle of anything will keep the fuel fresh that is sitting in a carb for a year, let alone two. That's why things just need to be run once in a while. In a closed container, sure why not. These threads are almost as fun as engine oil threads!

/ Fuel Stabilizer for new Z Turn #22  
@tomplum Have seen a few pink ones over the years also. And I agree about how long it will work in small amounts like what would be in a carb bowl, or in the case of stabilizer added and then ran dry which leans a small amount of unburnt fuel in the fuel bowl which can go bad within weeks.

/ Fuel Stabilizer for new Z Turn
To be clear, I'm considering a fuel stabilizer because that is what _Kawasaki_ recommends in their manual. And again, they did not specify which one.

I normally do not add anything to fuel or oil in any vehicle. I generally think it is snake oil. I know a lot of folks feel otherwise. (I do put Sta-Bil in gas cans that store gas for a long period of time.)

I read an article a few years ago discussing fuel stabilizers. Of Sta-Bil it said that its function is to sit in layer on top of resting gasoline in a tank. This forms a barrier to water absorption into the gasoline which I guess is hygroscopic to some extent and/or is made more so by ethanol. The article said that adding Sta-Bil to a tank or can that is constantly sloshed around (when being used) is useless.

From that article I believe that Sta-Bil performs that particular function as advertised. But I'm not sure it does anything else and I also don't know what the downsides are.

But, since the Kawasaki manual says run it dry or treat with stabilizer....and running it dry is not practical at this point, I'm going to add something, as instructed, and at some point a choice of stabilizer has to be made. I picked up some Sta-Bil this weekend.

I will also try to remember to start it and run it periodically. There is nothing keeping me from doing that other than neglect.

/ Fuel Stabilizer for new Z Turn #24  
I wouldn't disagree with the article you read really. How it used to be described in service school (back when you actually went for update), that the lighter constituents of the fuel were what gave the fuel improved startability. Those evaporated, oxidized early on. Couple that with alcohol and the detrimental properties it brings to the mix and another industry is born. Different stabilizers have their claims, but some feed on the common misconceptions that get tossed around. Does an ounce of diesel or two stroke oil in a gallon of gas accomplish the same as some of these commercial stabilizers? I'm not a chemist, but we do have a couple on the board here. As far as running equipment "dry", it doesn't really happen without some disassembly.

All carburetors are vented whether internally or externally to the surrounding air. That's why the fuel deteriorates where it needs the volatility the most. Draining fuel systems and servicing carburetors are a big part of what we do in OPE repair every day. Drain the bowl and out comes the discolored, stale fuel. Fuel stabilizers don't seem to change the color very much of what comes out after sitting a few months. It's worse for those who service snow equipment as the warm off season accelerates the process. Running the fuel line the fuel usually starts the clear and resemble pump gas if it has been a normal storage period.

Anyways, enjoy your new ride. (y)

/ Fuel Stabilizer for new Z Turn #25  
The product I’ve had the best luck with is Mechanic in a bottle . I’ve owned 5 snowmobiles for about 15 years and all of them has had problems with fuel. Once I started using MIB not a single issue. Do some research. There is a few good videos comparing MIB to Seafoam and Starton on YouTube.

/ Fuel Stabilizer for new Z Turn #26  
   / Fuel Stabilizer for new Z Turn #27  
To be clear, I'm considering a fuel stabilizer because that is what _Kawasaki_ recommends in their manual. And again, they did not specify which one.

I normally do not add anything to fuel or oil in any vehicle. I generally think it is snake oil. I know a lot of folks feel otherwise. (I do put Sta-Bil in gas cans that store gas for a long period of time.)

I read an article a few years ago discussing fuel stabilizers. Of Sta-Bil it said that its function is to sit in layer on top of resting gasoline in a tank. This forms a barrier to water absorption into the gasoline which I guess is hygroscopic to some extent and/or is made more so by ethanol. The article said that adding Sta-Bil to a tank or can that is constantly sloshed around (when being used) is useless.

From that article I believe that Sta-Bil performs that particular function as advertised. But I'm not sure it does anything else and I also don't know what the downsides are.

But, since the Kawasaki manual says run it dry or treat with stabilizer....and running it dry is not practical at this point, I'm going to add something, as instructed, and at some point a choice of stabilizer has to be made. I picked up some Sta-Bil this weekend.

I will also try to remember to start it and run it periodically. There is nothing keeping me from doing that other than neglect.
Put some Sta-Bil in gas containers that will be stored over 3 months. Fuel in mower tank if ran once or twice a month should be OK plus will keep your battery charged. If concerned for winter storage you can always disconnect fuel line at filter and drain tank before storing for winter. Good time for a new gas filter also. The longer gas stays in carburetor the better chance of gumming it up. You can also investigate on adding a fuel cutoff solving the problem for the life of carburetor.

/ Fuel Stabilizer for new Z Turn #28  
I've seen the red flakes too. Though when asked, they were also floating in the bottom of the old bottle of Stabil. I had a carb once that was pink inside. Couldn't clean it. Apparently when you add a whole bottle to a walk behind . . . I personally do not believe that a bottle of anything will keep the fuel fresh that is sitting in a carb for a year, let alone two. That's why things just need to be run once in a while. In a closed container, sure why not. These threads are almost as fun as engine oil threads!
Use ethanol free gas and 95% of your fuel problems will disappear. I also put about 1/2 ounce of 2 cycle oil in all my off road gas. Never have any problems even if it sets for a year.

/ Fuel Stabilizer for new Z Turn #29  
I recently drained the 91 0ctane gasl out of my boat after about 6 or 7 years. No ethanol in premium here. Used it in the pushmower first as it would be the easiest to clean if necessary. Got 6 5gal. jugs and using it in my truck without any noticeable difference. Mixing with 50% fresh gas to be safe.

/ Fuel Stabilizer for new Z Turn #30  

I don't know how Sta-Bil actually works, but it is fully miscible with gasoline and diesel, so it will not form a layer on top. I use it in the fuel for my ZTR, Chainsaw, weed whacker, UTV and tractor, as none of these are used frequently enough to assure fresh fuel turnover. So far, I have not had fuel-related problems.