Fuel Stabilizer for new Z Turn

/ Fuel Stabilizer for new Z Turn #1  

N80

Tractor
Kubota L4400 4wd w/LA 703 FEL
I bought a new Cub Cadet ZT2 z-turn this summer. It has the Kawasaki 22 hp FR engine. I have never owned a grass cutting device that cost this much money. I either mowed with the rotary cutter on the tractor or a push mower. During the off season I never did anything to my push mowers for seasonal storage. But, I want to do what the manual says since the z-turn/Kawsaki is too expensive to ignore. The manual says to either run the gas out or fill it up, add fuel stablizer and then run it for a minute or two.

Well, as it turns out my tank is more than half full so I'm planning on option #2. I only put 93 octane in it but it does have 10% ethanol. I don't know of anywhere locally where I can get ethanol free gas.

So, I'll fill it up and put fuel stablizer in it but I don't know what to use. The manual does not make any recommendations in that regard. I have used Sta-Bil in my gas cans that sit for long periods but don't know if that is right for this application. My understanding (which may be totally wrong) of Sta-Bil is that it sits on top of the gasoline and acts as a barrier to water absorption. Good enough in the tank, but not sure if that provides any benefit within the rest of the fuel system, lines, carb., etc.

I'm looking for recommendations. Open to anything that makes sense or that has worked for you guys.

/ Fuel Stabilizer for new Z Turn #2  
Stabil mixes in with the fuel, and I recommend it for seasonal storage. I have never used 93 octane in mowers, and never had a problem storing 87 octane for up to 2 years with Stabil added.

I was surprised to learn that 93 octane stores better (9 months untreated).

/ Fuel Stabilizer for new Z Turn #4  
And the best thing to do is install a fuel line shut off. Run the carb dry for storage.

Attachments

• shut off.jpeg
    shut off.jpeg
    17.8 KB · Views: 71
   / Fuel Stabilizer for new Z Turn #5  
Another supporter of Sta-bil. I have used it for years with zero issues. Just make sure you run the machine for a few minutes to ensure the Sta-bil makes it to all parts of your fuel system. And make sure the fuel tank is topped up.

/ Fuel Stabilizer for new Z Turn #6  
I've used Sta-Bil in my Deere Zero Turn every winter since I bought the mower. I use regular 10% pump gas
You'll want to run the for 5 minutes or so, after adding the Sta-Bil and topping off the tank. That's to ensure the entire fuel system has the stabilizer.
In my experience, the mower might smoke a bit for the first minute or so upon starting it for the next mowing season.
Probably worth it to pull the battery out too. I don't use a trickle charger and I will charge it before starting in the Spring

/ Fuel Stabilizer for new Z Turn #7  
Seafoam works for me.

/ Fuel Stabilizer for new Z Turn
Great. Thanks guys. Will go with Sta-Bil. Really like the idea of the fuel line shut off valves too.

/ Fuel Stabilizer for new Z Turn #9  
Another vote for Sta-bil, I use the Marine version of it. In fact I add it to all my fuel cans so that all the equipment has it in the tank all year round. I also add a bit of MMO to provide some lubrication. I top off the fuel tanks when I get done with whatever it is I am using and keep all the tanks topped off year round so the equipment is ready to go when I need it and have never had a fuel related issue.

/ Fuel Stabilizer for new Z Turn #10  
I use Sta-bil year round. I have access to non-ethanol fuel in both 87 & 92 octane and use the 92 octane with the sta-bil added in and get a 5 gal jug filled. I have a separate 1 gal can I fill from that and put in oil for my 2 cycle engines. I add sea foam on occasion. Not had a problem in 8 years so far.