Oil & Fuel FUEL FILTER

/ FUEL FILTER #1  

Travis_R

Veteran Member
Tractor
'98 MASSEY FERGUSON 231
Hey,

A couple days ago I ordered several items from a Yanmar dealer. I have one problem......My fuel filter is NOT the same that is on the tractor. The one he sent (OEM Yanmar filter- I looked up the part number in my parts manual) is much longer and skinnier than the one thats currently on the tractor. The OEM filter is not gonna fit in my fuel bowl. Its too long.

Does anybody have any sugguestions on what could have happened and if I could just buy the 'OEM' bowl? I want to look at the possibilities, if any, before I have to buy a new expensive fuel valve assembly.

Oh- and the dealer said that he would refund my money but that wouldn't fair to him. It isn't his fault. Besides, I want my tractor to be 'original'. I sure thought it was when I bough it.

Thanks,
Travis_R

/ FUEL FILTER #2  
Danny can sale you one just like the one that came on it.I order one for the 2210 .And the 3110 and they were to short . Them I talk to Danny he send me one and it was long just like the one on it.

/ FUEL FILTER
Tom,

I didn't find what you were talking about on Hoye's web site. All I saw was one fuel filter bowl, and that was the 'long' one. I did not see the 'short' bowl or filter (like the one I currently have).

If I bought the 'long' bowl, will it mount correctly to my fuel valve assembly?

Also just in case, where can I find the 'short' fuel filters to go in my 'short' fuel filter bowl?

Travis R

/ FUEL FILTER #5  
Travis, are you looking for this size filter element? http://www.rcotractor.com/pics/specialpics/YM2500ldrENG.jpg
I don't think there is an OEM Yanmar element to fit that bowl.

I bought a rebuilt filter assembly taken off a VN 'factory rebuilt' YM1500 and couldn't find an element for it. So I ordered the correct Yanmar element and bowl from Hoye, as shown here. I think this element is standard for the small and medium Yanmars from that era, plus there is one more longer element and bowl used on the largest models. Either should fit your tractor. I don't know which was specified originally for a 2500.

61786d1159379481-ordered-yanmar-today-img_3186rfuelfilter2.jpg

/ FUEL FILTER #6  
Sorry about that, Travis. When I bought mine, I did a search for "fuel filter" in their "interactive parts list" and the returned list included both bowls and elements with a "short" and "long" designator in the description.

That was several months ago, and I see that it doesn't do that any longer.

/ FUEL FILTER #7  
Travis_R said:
Oh- and the dealer said that he would refund my money but that wouldn't fair to him. It isn't his fault.
Travis_R
What a breath of fresh air.

I got taken to task a few days ago on another tractor site when a somewhat new member made mention his old garden tractor was having problems and he had gotten PO'd and went out and bought a new lawn tractor, one of the entry level models. Put 1.5hr on the new unit and decided it wouldn't work for him. In the mean time he also spent $2-3 on the part to repair the old tractor. With that he decided he was going to keep his old tractor. He was heading back down to the dealer for a full refund on the new tractor.

I took a tounge lashing from some because I made a statement about being too bad the dealer was having to take a hit for his bad judgement. Both in making a purchase in haste while being PO'd about something else and thinking it was OK to have the dealer pay for his mistake.

Good on ya travis.

/ FUEL FILTER
Thanks for all the support.

Everything is ok now. All I ended up needing is the longer (original) bowl. The dealer I was refering to was Danny Parker (1danny) with Parker Equipment www.peq.com. He is sending me what I need. He called me this morning and I wasn't even expecting it. After talking to him, I now know that he is OPEN 7 DAYS A WEEK!
Last Wednesday, I ordered from him a service manual, engine oil filter, fuel filter, fuel bowl o-ring, air filter, and a small reflector that goes on the back side of the rear fender. It didn't take but a couple days to get here (from Alabama to Louisiana).

He is a very nice feller. I would recommend doing business with him to anybody wanting to purchase a Yanmar tractor or parts. He even walked me through the (very easy) steps -now that I fully understand- on bleeding the air out of my fuel system after cleaning/changing the fuel filter.

I am no longer 'afraid' to change the fuel filter myself.

Also last Wednesday, I ordered an I&T John Deere 850 service manual just for my engine (3T80) from Hoye tractor. It should be here tomorrow or Tuesday. I highly recommend doing business with them also.

Thanks again,
Travis R

Last edited:
   / FUEL FILTER
California,

The OEM fuel filter for a YM2500 is Yanmar part # 124550-55700.

The new filter beside the bag in your picture looks like the OEM filter for my tractor, but i'm not 100% certain because of the part number listed on the bag. The filter and bowl (together) does not look like the one I currently have either.

The one on RCO tractor's website is not the OEM filter. If you look closely you'll see a spring between the filter and the bottom of the bowl. That shouldn't be like that (from an OEM stand point). Also, it doesn't look like the correct bowl either.

Thanks,
Travis_R

/ FUEL FILTER #10  
I know it's for a different model (ym2000) but I found that a purolator f55174 was exact replacement. Been working well. Mine looks very similar to the one in the picture.