/ Fuel additives #11  
I use the Power Service white container year round so I
am always ready for any temp change so I don't have to
have some diesel for summer and some for winter its all
the same year round

willy

/ Fuel additives #12  
if the local station is reputable and keeps their tank fuel current,
and the distributor/wholesaler and their guys are on the ball with their additive packages and reputable and keeps their fuel current,
and you keep the fuel in your tractor current and free of moisture (like not pulling a cold tractor into a warm shed to the point of condensation forming) and not using biodiesel which seems to attract moisture,
and you are operating in a climate that is not really / really cold,

then no you have no need or worry about using an additive.

Me... I don't like to take the risk, I use reputable supplier, keep my fuel current to the season, store in unheated shed, and avoid biodiesel at all cost but for peace of mind / insurance I use PS anti gel. Cheap, easy to add and provides good peace of mind. Every year operate at sub 30 degree levels (moving snow and in my woodlot) and never had a problem. On rare occasion -40 but only when absolutely have to. This week i put in a full day just a little colder than -30 with my no cab L3301 Kubota w/ F/X85 logging winch in my woodlot.

I always wonder about these ".. should I use" discussions.... I tend to think more "why not use"??? cheap and easy insurance IMHO

Last edited:
   / Fuel additives #13  
I got caught with diesel gelling last week. Temperature was minus 6, no idea of how much colder it was considering wind chill. Couldn't pump diesel out of my bulk tank because it was gelled in the fuel filter bowl.

So it's up to you. If you don't get temperatures all that low you may be OK with whatever the refinery or reseller put in it. But if you get a sudden cold snap you will be in deep trouble when the diesel gells. Your tractor WILL NOT run until you clean out the wax formed by the gelling diesel.

/ Fuel additives #14  
From what I have seen, read, and heard over the years this is a debate subject every year.
It seems to me that their are two main classes of individuals and two main trains of thought.
Those that have gelled and fought to get going in miserable weather and those that have not.
With two different theory's on what to do.
Those that have fought gelling and had to get going regardless of what it took, laying in snow to remove filters, blowing lines out, using heat (often fire) with sometimes disastrous results, most times eventually succeeding.
And those to which it has not happened yet.
I guess their should be a third group those whom have had minor cases of fuel gelling and have walked away and had someone else come take care of the problem, so it was a minor aggravation to them.

Those that have fought the issue, especially more then once do not have any desire to do so again.

Those that have not, seem to consider it to be a none issue.

/ Fuel additives #15  
Treating fuel with an anti-gel will never hurt anything and like someone else said, it is insurance. I would rather spend the money and treat the fuel then out to find it the tractor won't run because the lines and tank are full of jello. I have never had a problem with gelling and I never want to have a problem with gelling.

So to Lou's list you can add the camp of: Never dealt with gelling and don't want to find out. We are probably a small group.

/ Fuel additives #16  
So to Lou's list you can add the camp of: Never dealt with gelling and don't want to find out. We are probably a small group.
I'm in this group. I've never used an antigell either. I keep a small supply of diesel and gas in jerry cans for my tractor and mower but they are always emptied and refilled to coincide with the seasons.

I was told by my fuel supplier that their fuels (which are refined in Regina SK) always had the current required seasonal additives. So far I haven't had any diesel issues. I did have problems with my gas Audi once in -30C weather but that was resolved by letting it sit on the road for about 1.5 hours and then driving it back home and adding gas line antifreeze.

Just for the record we only have 3 gas engines. My quad, a 1947 IHC KB-1 and the Audi. All the rest are diesel. 2 Jetta's, 2 Cummins, lawn mower and a CUT. There's more but these are the regularly driven vehicles. Well except for the quad and the 47.

I don't ever want to deal with gelled fuel but if it happened I would most likely just push the vehicle into my garage and turn up the heat. After reading through this thread I concider myself very fortunate.

/ Fuel additives
Most of you have given sage advise that was requested, thank you.
Fuels change over the years, and I'm not up on those changes. Maybe diesel doesn't change, that was the reason for my question, is it necessary to add additives. It wasn't a matter of feeling lucky, trying to save money. I stated I used an additive last year. Just trying to figure out if "modern" fuel still needs it. Thanks again to those who read and answered...

/ Fuel additives #18  
I was told by my fuel supplier that their fuels (which are refined in Regina SK) always had the current required seasonal additives.
Yes, if you buy your fuel in the season you use it then there is little chance your going to have a major problem.

But I keep plenty of fuel on hand and I don't keep track of when I filled each of my 5 gallon cans. I rotate the cans and use the oldest. I don't want to make a trips get fuel as I need it, at times this would be once a month but in the winter it could mean several trips a week. I don't want to take a chance of needing to move snow and be out of fuel because it's been a bad snow week and I've used it all, been there, done that. For this reason I treat every can, it's just easier that way.

/ Fuel additives #19  
Yes, if you buy your fuel in the season you use it then there is little chance your going to have a major problem.

But I keep plenty of fuel on hand and I don't keep track of when I filled each of my 5 gallon cans. I rotate the cans and use the oldest. I don't want to make a trips get fuel as I need it, at times this would be once a month but in the winter it could mean several trips a week. I don't want to take a chance of needing to move snow and be out of fuel because it's been a bad snow week and I've used it all, been there, done that. For this reason I treat every can, it's just easier that way.
I live 10 miles from a card lock that I'm in the vicinity of several times a week. I can get fuel any time of day and any day I want. Chances are good that if I was in your situation I would do the same as you. I'm fortunate in the fact that I don't need to.

/ Fuel additives #20  
seems to me there are 4 possible issues w/diesel fuel.
gelling, lubricity, algae growth, moisture in the fuel.
don't think i've ever seen a conditioner that addresses all 4. personally, i took the advice of my K parts guy & go w/Howes, as it covers 3 of the 4 above (but not algae). he mentions it's a favorite of truckers, tho i can't confirm that. good luck, & yes, i agree preventative is always better than after the fact

Last edited: