Fruit Trees Planted

/ Fruit Trees Planted #1  

KennyG

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 2320
Not exactly sure where this should go but I decided to put in a few bare root apple and cherry trees this year. I'm not too experienced in this area but if I have nice blooms in the spring and feed the deer it will probably be worthwhile. :) I planted them in an area that does not have water access so I rigged up a barrel to go on my forks. I put fencing around the trees to keep the deer away for a few years and mulched around them. I'm using buckets with a hole drilled in it to water slowly enough it doesn't wash anything away. I put them in about a month ago and they have all budded out, so - so far so good.
orchard1.jpgorchard2.jpg

/ Fruit Trees Planted #3  
I put in about 1200 bare root seedlings last year. Mostly choke cherry, hybrid chestnut, and mulberry. I figure on about 50% attrition as I am not going to water them. I'm hoping, if I can ever get around to it, to put in a few mature persimmons and Dunstan Chestnuts.

Check with your local NRCS office. They may have a program to cost share on trees.

/ Fruit Trees Planted #4  
We have planted many different fruit trees here. Always make sure if they require a cross pollination tree close by, some don't require it. I have a IBC tote in a remote area to use as a water source, Good luck !

/ Fruit Trees Planted #5  
Mulberry may be the worst tree ever. Horrible things that multiply randomly and are nearly impossible to kill. They're nothing but giant weeds. Same with Persimmons. I cut those down by the dozens and they keep coming back. They also draw the webworms in late Summer. Some so bad the whole tree looks like one big web.

/ Fruit Trees Planted #6  
Are you guys using forks for the IBC

My brother plans to set on up using his Kubota RTV900

I'm thinking this is quite a load and he does have some steep areas plus the 900 isn't exactly a powerhouse.

/ Fruit Trees Planted #7  
Mulberry may be the worst tree ever. Horrible things that multiply randomly and are nearly impossible to kill. They're nothing but giant weeds. Same with Persimmons. I cut those down by the dozens and they keep coming back. They also draw the webworms in late Summer. Some so bad the whole tree looks like one big web.

I bought an old 1910 cottage in East Oakland with a decrepit Persimmon and Fig Tree... the fruit from both are highly sought after and the story is they came from Mission San Jose...

Have not noticed any spreading... maybe there are different varieties?

/ Fruit Trees Planted #8  
I would not even consider planting a tree without a grow tube to get it started,,

MAX GROW TUBE TREE SHELTER | AM Leonard Horticultural Supply

5 foot minimum height,, deer will "trim" the tree when it pokes out of a 4 foot tube.

These are the best tree invention ever,, the tube "trains" the tree to be straight and a little taller when starting.

If you just leave the tube, the tree can split the tube when the tree gets big enough,,,

It is also a weedeater guard,,,

/ Fruit Trees Planted #9  

Around here mulberry is fairly rare and persimmons are sought after, are not in abundance but not rare.

/ Fruit Trees Planted #10  
I would not even consider planting a tree without a grow tube to get it started,,

MAX GROW TUBE TREE SHELTER | AM Leonard Horticultural Supply

5 foot minimum height,, deer will "trim" the tree when it pokes out of a 4 foot tube.

These are the best tree invention ever,, the tube "trains" the tree to be straight and a little taller when starting.

If you just leave the tube, the tree can split the tube when the tree gets big enough,,,

It is also a weedeater guard,,,

I agree if you are only going to plant a handful of trees. Otherwise it's too expensive. I bought bare roots for 30 to 50 cents apiece and planted small clearings on my property. I cost shared with the NRCS so with 1200 planted, let the deer have a few. I just wanted something for ground cover that the wildlife would be attracted to.