Frozen Tires

/ Frozen Tires #1  

rossn

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson GC1705
I have a GC1705 that I bought used about 7 years ago. It already had loaded tires.

Last winter, the tires were freezing.

Today, what's the preferred approach to loaded tires? Is there a thread or site I should read? If not what fluid, ratio, and volume is needed, and how to do you get it in (and out)?

Least toxic, most environmentally friendly solution is best for me.

Many, many thanks!

Last edited:
   / Frozen Tires #2  
Sounds like your tires have water in them. Or else a very weak calcium chloride solution.

There is a product called Rim Guard that is a sugar based solution. Or others use an RV antifreeze.

The easiest way to remove solutions on such small tires is to take the tires to a tire shop and let them deal with it. If your so inclined you can debead the tires yourself and remove the solution.

Honestly if it was my tractor I would drain the fluid out and not put anything back in. You've got 18 hp going to the ground through 4 wheels. You don't need it for traction at all.

Some would argue that you need it for stability. In my books that's a very weak argument because I think that a 3 point hitch weight carried low is considerably more versatile. Like you can remove it when you don't need it, which is the majority of the time you are using the tractor.

/ Frozen Tires
Sounds like your tires have water in them. Or else a very weak calcium chloride solution.

There is a product called Rim Guard that is a sugar based solution. Or others use an RV antifreeze.

The easiest way to remove solutions on such small tires is to take the tires to a tire shop and let them deal with it. If your so inclined you can debead the tires yourself and remove the solution.

Honestly if it was my tractor I would drain the fluid out and not put anything back in. You've got 18 hp going to the ground through 4 wheels. You don't need it for traction at all.

Some would argue that you need it for stability. In my books that's a very weak argument because I think that a 3 point hitch weight carried low is considerably more versatile. Like you can remove it when you don't need it, which is the majority of the time you are using the tractor.
Thanks for weighing in.

They didn't freeze the first 6 years!

I went out and extracted a little fluid, and by first appearance, it seems the rear tires are ballasted with antifreeze. I use the tractor to plow snow, and there are times I have to get a running start and wish I had more weight, so I am thinking I will want to continue to have ballasted tires. Looks like Rim guard dealers are about 45 mins away, and can check in with them on Monday.

/ Frozen Tires #4  
In hindsight, I would have preferred RimGuard but the dealer would only do some type of alcohol based solution similar to windshield washer fluid. RimGuard is heavier per gallon, and more environmentally friendly.
Perhaps you could just add some straight RV antifreeze? Just keep the overall volume down to around 75% of the tire capacity.

/ Frozen Tires
In hindsight, I would have preferred RimGuard but the dealer would only do some type of alcohol based solution similar to windshield washer fluid. RimGuard is heavier per gallon, and more environmentally friendly.
Perhaps you could just add some straight RV antifreeze? Just keep the overall volume down to around 75% of the tire capacity.
What's the reasoning about keeping volume to 75%? Does it maintain some cushion at 25% air?

/ Frozen Tires #6  
Simple answer is, you cannot fill any tire 100% because of where the valve is. Impossibility and myself, I don't use anything in my tires but free air from the compressor. In fact, the last M9 I bought used had CACL in the rear tires and I had my tire man come out and drain it (and install new tubes, immediately). Pizzed it all out in the gravel driveway, CACL is great weed killer.

/ Frozen Tires #7  
I know this thread is a couple of months old but I thought I’d add my two cents worth. I recently had the rear tires on my GC1720 filled with Rimguard beet juice and I’m happy with the results. The only downside so far is the weight when putting them back on.

/ Frozen Tires #8  
Was the OP problem solution freezing or tires flat spotting from age and cold? If didn’t freeze first few years suspect the flat spot problem.

/ Frozen Tires #9  
My L3700SU has the rears filled with something... Can't remember but it was done when I bought it new 11 years ago.. They do freeze in the winter and its a bumpy ride for a little while until it either breaks up or melts.. Usually takes about 10/15 minutes of use.

/ Frozen Tires #10  
I filled my rears with windshield washer fluid. Got it at a Runnings store (like a tractor supply store) when they had it on sale. It was cheaper than RV AF or Rimguard.