Front Tire Puncture Question

/ Front Tire Puncture Question #31  
Don't understand why a "pinhole" couldn't be reamed and plugged too??

Was it because they couldn't "pinpoint" the "pinhole"???

If so, not a very competent "tire shop" IMO.

/ Front Tire Puncture Question #32  
Some time ago I managed to puncture my front tire (through the tread, so it could be repaired with a plug). Last week I had a situation where I was losing air in the tire and couldn't figure out why. The tire dealer told me there was a pinhole in it and they needed to tube it. I had that done and now it is fine.

Question - is this an issue for working with heavy loads on my Loader? For example, I regularly stack large Round Hay Bales... I'm thinking that with proper weight in the back it shouldn't be, but I figured I'd ask if anyone else has tubed their tires. I see may discussions over the years where people have filled their tires for weight - but not tubing them.

Thanks for your help with this question.

-Bob
I've run tubed snow tires on the front of my older Kubota L2250 for years without an issue. I use it for snow plowing, moving dirt with the FEL, and as a backhoe. I had issues with leakage from the rims. I did replace one of the rims.

/ Front Tire Puncture Question #33  
I have no idea how common tubing a tractor tire is but know it is done and have had one or two done over the years. It could be a pin hole they are not locating or cannot plug. One place to watch for on tractor tires for leak some miss is the tire to rim. We tend to think it must be in the tire and just over look the bead joint of tire to rim.
I have tubes in both of my front tires. been there for 8 years with no problem. I also use a tire sealant called tirejec which works really well sealing leaks. I ran over a bottle a few years back and it sounded like a 22 riffle shot and then the tirejec sealed it off, I finished my brush hogging and when I got home checked the tire pressure and it had lost 4 pounds. It was a couple of years before I repaired the tire. got thjis from EbayTireJect Off-Road Tire Sealant - 10oz Single Tire Repair KitOpens in a new window or tab

/ Front Tire Puncture Question #34  
When I had turf tires on my last tractor, I had at least one front tire problem every year. Tubes solved it...mostly. The R4 tires on my Kubota stand up better to the abuse I give it working a small Christmas tree farm, even if they're a bit tougher on the lawn.

/ Front Tire Puncture Question #35  
The old tractors, wagons and implements all used tubes. Believe it was the 70's when tractor and implement tires started coming tubeless. Never have liked tubeless as sometimes they would push off the bead and if you used calcium needed to put a tube in anyway. Yes I know i said that nasty word calcium but that was the usual ballast then. I also said the tubes were used on wagon running gears, probably carried more weight the your loader.
Never liked the sealants put in tubeless tires either. Why? Try changing one with that snot in them, you will find out why. It also rusts the rims.

/ Front Tire Puncture Question #36  
I wonder if a tube would hold up on my front tire?

View attachment 809387
Yep, I'd fix it. They have some thick boot patches to put inside tire over the hole. Then put a tube. Good to go. If it still shows a hole on the outside, caulk with sikaflex.

/ Front Tire Puncture Question #37  
Front tires are much more vulnerable to losing air than back tires. In my experience I have had flats from rolling the bead while turning with too much weight in the bucket, hawthorn thorns (repetitively), and a failed inner tube. The last apparently was caused by rust/corrosion on the inside of the rim according to the tire technician. Whenever I've had a flat I always have it repaired with a new inner tube. Rolling the bead (a little) is no longer a problem, failed puncture repairs likewise. It takes about ten years for an inner tube to be rubbed raw by internal rust/corrosion. Inner tubes cost less than the gas it takes hauling the tractor to the tire shop one time.

/ Front Tire Puncture Question #38  
I have no idea how common tubing a tractor tire is but know it is done and have had one or two done over the years. It could be a pin hole they are not locating or cannot plug. One place to watch for on tractor tires for leak some miss is the tire to rim. We tend to think it must be in the tire and just over look the bead joint of tire to rim.
Use soapy water around the rim to find a leak where to bead should seal. Tractors fail to seal more often than cars or trucks because the wheels are often rusty.

Using a tube works, just take your hand and rub the inside of the tire to ensure there is nothing poking through the tire that might puncture the tube.

I know an old timer that had the problem you described. He had the tire removed from the rim, and used a very high grit sand paper-almost a wet sand used by body shops. He then took black electric tape and taped the rim where the bead seals. It worked! He said the tape would form a type of gasket between the tire and the rim. It really worked.

/ Front Tire Puncture Question #39  
Use soapy water around the rim to find a leak where to bead should seal. Tractors fail to seal more often than cars or trucks because the wheels are often rusty.

Using a tube works, just take your hand and rub the inside of the tire to ensure there is nothing poking through the tire that might puncture the tube.

I know an old timer
that had the problem you described. He had the tire removed from the rim, and used a very high grit sand paper-almost a wet sand used by body shops. He then took black electric tape and taped the rim where the bead seals. It worked! He said the tape would form a type of gasket between the tire and the rim. It really worked.
"Old timers" don't use their hand to feel inside tires and greenhorns only do it until they cut their hand on whatever punctured tire then they start using a shop towel.

/ Front Tire Puncture Question #40  
A tube would also help with keeping corrosion of the wheel to a minimum on a fluid weighted tire.