Front Mount Mowers

/ Front Mount Mowers #1  

DHD

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800
I just recently got the Husqvarna R322T AWD.
It's a front mount mower with flip up deck, rear steering and all wheel drive.

For as long as I can remember, before getting the R322T, I used nothing but your standard garden tractor with mid-mount mower.
After using the R322T this past summer, IMHO the front mount mower design is a far superior mowing unit than any typical mid-mount mower I've ever used.

I'm talking about front mount mowers that have the steering wheel, flip up mower deck, and are also able to take other front mount attachments like, snow plows, snow blowers, sweepers etc.
Normally all you see for riding mowers are the GT with mid-mount mower or zero-turns in which mowing is their only function.

What do you folks have for front mount mower units and what other attachments or functions do you perform with your machine besides mowing ?

Attachments

• 2 R322T-1.jpg
    2 R322T-1.jpg
    759.2 KB · Views: 393
Last edited:
   / Front Mount Mowers #2  
Check out the Ventrac line of tractors - there is a Ventrac Forum here and Ventrac has a web site.
The Ventrac is Articulated and has front mounted power attachments. :thumbsup: Ventrac is made in Ohio (Made in USA) :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

/ Front Mount Mowers
Check out the Ventrac line of tractors - there is a Ventrac Forum here and Ventrac has a web site.
The Ventrac is Articulated and has front mounted power attachments. :thumbsup: Ventrac is made in Ohio (Made in USA) :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I actually was researching Ventrac before getting Husqvarna.
Ventrac are an exceptional machines
What do you use your Ventrac for besides mowing ?

/ Front Mount Mowers #4  
I had a Ford CM272 commercial front mower. It was a real nice mower. Diesel and 72" deck.

I replaced it with my 66" Hustler Z Diesel commercial zero turn. As good as the Ford front mower was, the zero turn cuts faster, and overall I'd the the zero turn over the front mower any day.

/ Front Mount Mowers #5  
   / Front Mount Mowers
Power Trac is a very interesting machine.
Those brush hog videos are really impressive.
I like the idea of having the brush hog in front of the tractor rather than behind the tractor.
Cutting really tall or thick brush before you drive through it just makes more sense.

/ Front Mount Mowers #7  
We have very little land that is close to level and the Ventrac is a stable machine with low center of gravity.
You could check out the Ventrac threads for uses - I use the mower (60" finish), Excavator Bucket, Dozer / Snow Blade, Aerator & Spreader, Blower (for leaves etc.), Snow Blower, and recently got a Sickle Bar attachment that was designed for the Ventrac, but I had to find it used because they don't make it now. I use the machine for maintaining our road (that the State is supposed to do) - mowing, grading, log skidding, towing trailer, pulling out other stuck vehicles :D , and generally keeping up with our 10 acres + neighbors that need things done around here. I have another neighbor that purchased the 4500 with Kawasaki engine because he turned over a New Holland SCUT.

I actually was researching Ventrac before getting Husqvarna.
Ventrac are an exceptional machines
What do you use your Ventrac for besides mowing ?

/ Front Mount Mowers #8  
Power Trac is a very interesting machine.
Those brush hog videos are really impressive.
I like the idea of having the brush hog in front of the tractor rather than behind the tractor.
Cutting really tall or thick brush before you drive through it just makes more sense.

The question goes like this.... after 10 years of ownership, would you purchase another?
My answer is maybe. My model year has a Kohler engine. Newer and current models have a different engine that there are some cold starting issues with, and I need it to plow snow dependably in winter. If not for that, I'd purchase again immediately. Until its resolved, I'd have to say no.

/ Front Mount Mowers #9  
Gravely 8171 - front mower deck and a rear tiller is what my dad used. Bought in 1976 or 77. His was all red and had the word, commercial, under the 8171 number.
Twin cylinder gas motor under the operator. Heavily built. Most of the other garden tractor style ones had white hood & fenders. I don't know the history of the color schemes.
The reason I bought a 4100 gear [Deere] was that Gravely doesn't make this machine any longer.