Ford 9N - Retrieve it or Leave it?

/ Ford 9N - Retrieve it or Leave it? #81  
I somehow double posted.

/ Ford 9N - Retrieve it or Leave it?
TSC sells the correct fluid.

Look at / replace the gearshift rubber boot. Even if not real cracked, any rain that hits there, will drop into the trans/hyd oil. Reach in and scrape out the built up gunk on the bottom of the case.
I wonder how this compares to the "Universal Tractor Fluid" found at TSC? That stuff is $100 versus the $50 for a 5 gallon bucket.
You are right, the manual says SAE 90. Some forums say the other stuff is fine too.

/ Ford 9N - Retrieve it or Leave it? #83  
I would have to look it up myself. Do remember my Dad being picky about what was put in them. I think due to a bronze pieces in the hydraulic pump?

/ Ford 9N - Retrieve it or Leave it? #84  
There are several people that say using GL5 in the sump will damage the bronze but IMHO and many others that is pure BS. I have used GL5 in everyone of the old N tractors I have owned (mainly because it is easier to find than GL1) and never once had any damage to any of them.

One thing for certain is you do not want to use UTF, it is to thin unless you live way up north and intend to use the tractor in the dead of winter.

There are several people that say using GL5 in the sump will damage the bronze but IMHO and many others that is pure BS. I have used GL5 in everyone of the old N tractors I have owned (mainly because it is easier to find than GL1) and never once had any damage to any of them.

One thing for certain is you do not want to use UTF, it is to thin unless you live way up north and intend to use the tractor in the dead of winter.
What weight do you use in the GL5? Looks like the common stuff is 75W-90 or 80W-90.

Good luck with your 8n. One of those was the first tractor that I ever bought (from the original owner). He put 1200 hours on it, it’s first 36 years, and I put 800 on it the last 34 years. It has always been stored inside, and it still has the original paint and rubber, and most of the original parts.

One of the calcium filled rear rims rusted through last year, so I had to replace that, and I replaced the distributor the year prior. Had I oiled that every 10 hours (like it says in the manual) rather than every 100, I might have got more than 68 years out of it.

I like that old 8n better than my modern 4wd diesel tractor for some jobs, like planting corn with my two row planter. It’s lower to the ground, quieter, and I can get on or off from either side. It’s lighter weight makes it easier to attach and remove that and other implements.

I did spring for a new $27 seat cover for it this year, as well as some NGK plugs to replace the 10 year old Champion H-12’s that were in it. I think it is running smoother now than it ever did. I don’t imagine I will ever sell this old tractor because it is a joy to operate.

View attachment 752024
Where did you find the new rim? Both of mine are rusted out. May try to patch weld them too. Thanks!

/ Ford 9N - Retrieve it or Leave it? #87  
Where did you find the new rim? Both of mine are rusted out. May try to patch weld them too. Thanks!
I ordered two new (rear) rims for my 9N at TSC. Shipped to store. That was a few years ago (maybe 10?), though.

/ Ford 9N - Retrieve it or Leave it? #89  

Amazon had them. One nice thing about the Ford n’s, is that they were produced in larger numbers than any other make/model tractor. For that reason, they have the best parts availability.