Oil & Fuel Ford 800 oil pressure

/ Ford 800 oil pressure #1  

Rulebreaker

Tractor
New Holland 2120 and LS 45 Ford 800
Decided to tear down the 1958 Ford 800 to try and figure out my oil pressure issue, and I am scratching my head. She had 60 PSI of oil pressure when a quart overfull, but when at the full line it only had oil pressure going up hill. It literally lost all oil pressure when going downhill at full. So my assumption was the oil pickup tube had a crack or something alone that line. So now the engine is upside down on my engine stand, and I do not see a crack in the pickup tube. I took the bottom of the oil pump off to see if maybe the seal was bad and that looks good. Also with the oil pump towards the front of the engine one would think downhill would be better than uphill.

This issue has been ongoing for several years and we have replaced the oil pump and oil pressure gauge already, in fact I think we replaced the gauge twice.

The tractor looses oil from the bell housing drain at a good pace so my thought is it needs a new rear main, so I'm going to overhaul the old girl, but I dont want to overhaul it, if I cannot figure out the oil pressure issue or can figure out how to drive uphill all the time.

/ Ford 800 oil pressure #2  
Have seen this on a tractor I fixed, at som point in time some one changed the pickup and put in a pickup for a different type oilpan and it was to short.

/ Ford 800 oil pressure #3  
Does it have the correct oil pickup tube and is it installed correctly?

/ Ford 800 oil pressure
IMG_1986.jpgIMG_1987.jpgIMG_1988.jpgIMG_1989.jpgIMG_1990.jpgIMG_1991.jpgIMG_1992.jpgIMG_1993.jpg

/ Ford 800 oil pressure
IMG_1994.jpgIMG_1995.jpg
I believe the pickup is the right one. I really haven't found obvious oil starvation damage. I have attached photo's for you to see.

/ Ford 800 oil pressure #6  
Did you plasti-gauge the mains and the rod bearings? if you did, were they within specs? The bearings look worn to me. That doesn't explain why your pressure was 60 psi when over filled but it it would explain low pressure with a new pump and the correct oil level.

Did you check the oil pump relief valve? If it sticks open it can cause low oil pressure.

/ Ford 800 oil pressure
Did you plasti-gauge the mains and the rod bearings? if you did, were they within specs? The bearings look worn to me. That doesn't explain why your pressure was 60 psi when over filled but it it would explain low pressure with a new pump and the correct oil level.

Did you check the oil pump relief valve? If it sticks open it can cause low oil pressure.

I have not plasti-gauge'd the bearings yet, but I did check the relief valve and even run the pump with a low speed drill and it pumps great.

/ Ford 800 oil pressure #8  
why in the world is blue silicone on the rear main cap ?
1958 ford 800, has the cam bearings ever been replaced, lmg=no, you have the engine out so send it to machine shop and have the cam bearings
replaced, worn cam bearings will allow to much pressure and flow to leak back down into the oil pan.
if u have never used plasti gage the let the machine shop check and assemble the bottom end.

oh and never ever use silicone @ oil containment areas.