Ford 5400? Year?

/ Ford 5400? Year?
How is it Going on the 4500? I ended up doing the same in ordering a full Paper original service manual.
The seller blue toothed a digital version to my phone and it evaporated somehow... Really like these old Ford tractors.
I haven't had time to do anything. Finally done working a little earlier today. Planning to put new oil in with cleaner and look at the hydraulic fluid again. I'm wondering about draining and heating it to evaporate the water. Seems like the water would come out pretty quick if it was heated in the open air.

/ Ford 5400? Year?
How is it Going on the 4500? I ended up doing the same in ordering a full Paper original service manual.
The seller blue toothed a digital version to my phone and it evaporated somehow... Really like these old Ford tractors.
Draining the hydraulic oil tonight. Wanted to get this done last week, but work is in demand. The stuff is the color and nearly the consistency of a butterscotch milkshake. I have 35 gallons of fluid to change it all. I was thinking of trying to heat it and get the water out, but I'm not sure I want to try as wet as it is. I'm looking at a Dryzoil water absorber to wire in the transmission tank, to absorb what water will be left from the oil that won't drain, like in the torque converter. Just hoping the torque converter hasn't been ruined by the obviously extensive use of the tractor without any regard for maintenance.

/ Ford 5400? Year?
Draining the hydraulic oil tonight. Wanted to get this done last week, but work is in demand. The stuff is the color and nearly the consistency of a butterscotch milkshake. I have 35 gallons of fluid to change it all. I was thinking of trying to heat it and get the water out, but I'm not sure I want to try as wet as it is. I'm looking at a Dryzoil water absorber to wire in the transmission tank, to absorb what water will be left from the oil that won't drain, like in the torque converter. Just hoping the torque converter hasn't been ruined by the obviously extensive use of the tractor without any regard for maintenance.

/ Ford 5400? Year?
I bought a pdf service manual that combines several models and turns out is just scans of the paper manuals. I'm sure it's in violation of copyright and being sold repeatedly. No searching, just have to scroll to the information, just like reading a book.

/ Ford 5400? Year? #15  
You drained the loader/backhoe sump of 35 gallons. Milky/caramel colored I understand. Did you find the same oil consistency in the transmission? It is a separate system from the loader/backhoe system.

/ Ford 5400? Year? #16  
Late to the thread, it seems most questions are answered.

This is a good site for deciphering those model codes FORD CODES and SERIAL NUMBERS

And yes, it indicates a gasser. So one can only assume it had an engine swap somewhere along the way.

Yes its a 755 backhoe attachment, and thats the 740 loader attachment too. So if you need to look up parts on newhollands website. The hydraulics are indeed separate from the transmission, and the loader/backhoe frame is actually tube steel and is the oil reservoir.

Not sure on the trans or how different it is than a 5500. I had a 5500 with the TC trans and the suction line for the torque converter charge was on the bottom of the trans. A 90° steel fitting. Any condensation would settle to the bottom then freeze in the winter. Had to crawl under there with a propane torch several times in the winter when I needed it.

When you stopped on the road and saw steam at the shift boot.....that was probably just getting it up to operating temp and cooking the water out if the oil. Dad had a 4500, but his was not the TC trans so I have no idea about that.

IF you think this 4500 is already a little bigger than you wanted, be thankful it wasnt actually a 755. Otherwise you'd have a 18000 pound monster instead of the 10,000-11,000# machine you now have. My 5500 was a predecessor to the 755.

Here is a side by side shot of a 4500 and a 5500

E41A0634.JPG
E41A0638.JPG
E41A0639.JPG
E41A0640.JPG

/ Ford 5400? Year? #17  
Late to the thread, it seems most questions are answered.

This is a good site for deciphering those model codes FORD CODES and SERIAL NUMBERS

And yes, it indicates a gasser. So one can only assume it had an engine swap somewhere along the way.

Yes its a 755 backhoe attachment, and thats the 740 loader attachment too. So if you need to look up parts on newhollands website. The hydraulics are indeed separate from the transmission, and the loader/backhoe frame is actually tube steel and is the oil reservoir.

Not sure on the trans or how different it is than a 5500. I had a 5500 with the TC trans and the suction line for the torque converter charge was on the bottom of the trans. A 90° steel fitting. Any condensation would settle to the bottom then freeze in the winter. Had to crawl under there with a propane torch several times in the winter when I needed it.

When you stopped on the road and saw steam at the shift boot.....that was probably just getting it up to operating temp and cooking the water out if the oil. Dad had a 4500, but his was not the TC trans so I have no idea about that.

IF you think this 4500 is already a little bigger than you wanted, be thankful it wasnt actually a 755. Otherwise you'd have a 18000 pound monster instead of the 10,000-11,000# machine you now have. My 5500 was a predecessor to the 755.

Here is a side by side shot of a 4500 and a 5500

View attachment 766423View attachment 766424View attachment 766425View attachment 766426
For sure LD1, there is a big, big difference between the 4500 and the older 5500, 6500, 7500. The latter have a Clark transmission, which was continued on with the 750, 755... TLBs.
The 4500 has a Ford transmission with a Borg Warner shuttle assembly in the front end of it. Much simpler and smaller overall. Same basic housing as the ag tractor versions.
As far as the backhoe goes, as various replies have said, it definitely looks like a 755 backhoe attachment. But to make sure, look at the control tower facing the operator seat. If it is still intact, as SD455DAN pointed out, there is a "true model" of 19-388, 19-389 or 19-390. 19-390 is the 755 or 15' hoe. The loader has the same 19-... #, but as LD1 pointed out, it is a 740 loader as the 4500 only used this loader.

/ Ford 5400? Year? #18  
For sure LD1, there is a big, big difference between the 4500 and the older 5500, 6500, 7500. The latter have a Clark transmission, which was continued on with the 750, 755... TLBs.
The 4500 has a Ford transmission with a Borg Warner shuttle assembly in the front end of it. Much simpler and smaller overall. Same basic housing as the ag tractor versions.
As far as the backhoe goes, as various replies have said, it definitely looks like a 755 backhoe attachment. But to make sure, look at the control tower facing the operator seat. If it is still intact, as SD455DAN pointed out, there is a "true model" of 19-388, 19-389 or 19-390. 19-390 is the 755 or 15' hoe. The loader has the same 19-... #, but as LD1 pointed out, it is a 740 loader as the 4500 only used this loader.

Thanks for clarifying.

Dads 4500 had the 6-speed manual. 3R, 1R with a high low. I wasnt even aware they put a TC trans in a 4500. I thought that didnt start til the 500 series like the 545, 550, 555, etc.

I have also seen some 4500's with the smaller 735 loader. But those were most common on the 3400 tractors.

I am in agreement with Dan that it IS the 755 hoe. The 10 and 13' versions did have much closer pin spacing at the end of the boom cylinder and base of the dipper cylinder. Can spot the smaller hoe's a mile away.

The 740 loader was a beast in comparison to the 730 or 735 loaders. Almost too much for the tractor IMO.