Ford 5000 hydraulic pressure

/ Ford 5000 hydraulic pressure #1  

OregonFord5000

Tractor
1969 Ford 5000
So long story short, after hydro fluid gets hot running my 6-disk new Holland mower, the pto has a real hard time starting back up after I shut it off. Sometimes I have to give a little help by twisting the driveline. Yep, a real pain when you're trying to get hay cut. So I pressure tested the hydro pressure for the Pto per the 70's Era set of Ford service manuals I have. Manual says 130-165 psi at an idle when warmed up. I had about 50 psi (give or take). Does this sound like a main hydraulic pump issue (tractor doesn't have any problem with heavy 3-point implements) or possibly something else causing the drop in pressure? I have everything stripped off the top and the lift cover ready to come off so I can check the clutch and all. Just wondering if I may have to get to the pump and I'm not totally sure where that is at. Knowing my luck it isn't under that top cover. Thanks!

/ Ford 5000 hydraulic pressure #2  
Wow! You're braver than I am by grabbing the PTO shaft. o_O

If you can lift heavy implements, the PTO should engage. Sounds more like the clutch pack is worn beyond service. Or perhaps a dirty valve. A piston compresses the clutch pack using hydraulic pressure. When was the last time the rear end filter and oil were changed? My 3910 holds 12 gallons. That 5000 should be that or more.

I've never been that deep into mine but if you follow the PTO shaft forward, the clutch pack is on the front end of it. :giggle:

/ Ford 5000 hydraulic pressure
Wow! You're braver than I am by grabbing the PTO shaft. o_O

If you can lift heavy implements, the PTO should engage. Sounds more like the clutch pack is worn beyond service. Or perhaps a dirty valve. A piston compresses the clutch pack using hydraulic pressure. When was the last time the rear end filter and oil were changed? My 3910 holds 12 gallons. That 5000 should be that or more.

I've never been that deep into mine but if you follow the PTO shaft forward, the clutch pack is on the front end of it. :giggle:
Well, I only grab it when it isn't moving. Usually a little extra help and it starts to spin. It takes a bit to get that mower spun up. I was originally thinking the clutch pack as well, but the guy who just fixed and serviced my baler said it was a pressure problem and then when I checked it and saw how low it was I guess that kind of confirmed it. Maybe a check valve or something. Guess I will see what I find when I finally lift the cover off. I'm waiting until this weekend to have some help. The cover on my 5000 is Heavy and I don't want to drop it. The PTO engages just fine when it is cold or even when hot as long as it isn't a high drag implement.

/ Ford 5000 hydraulic pressure #4  
For what it's worth, the hydraulic pump has two sections, one high pressure for lift and remotes, an a smaller low pressure section for the PTO. When you get the lift cover off you will find the low pressure supply hose from the pump leading up to the PTO valve. Get the PTO clutch/valve assembly out on the table and deal with that first if you see nothing wrong with the hose. You will most likely find your pressure loss there.

For what it's worth, the hydraulic pump has two sections, one high pressure for lift and remotes, an a smaller low pressure section for the PTO. When you get the lift cover off you will find the low pressure supply hose from the pump leading up to the PTO valve. Get the PTO clutch/valve assembly out on the table and deal with that first if you see nothing wrong with the hose. You will most likely find your pressure loss there.
Thank you sir. I will take a good look at all of that.

Anyone know if it would be worth upgrading my pto clutch pack from a 3 disk to a 4 disk? I know I would need a new hub, but I would rather do this right while I'm in there.

So I finally got all of my parts. While putting the Pto valve and support arm on the clutch last night, I found that the new PTO brake arm I got will not fit down on the outside of the clutch housing. It seems like it was machined slightly too big or the brake pad is too thick. I got it from Yesterday's Tractor. Anyone else have this issue before? I'm considering trying to grind the brake pad material down enough to make it fit, but I'm not sure how that will go. I could reuse the old one, but there isn't much left of it.