Ford 4500 Power Steering pump

/ Ford 4500 Power Steering pump #1  

williamhutchinson44

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 5000, 8n sidemount, 4500 backhoe
I've got a ford 4500 with a power steering pump that's disappearing all the fluid out after a few hours. If you are sitting innthe tractor it's the front left side, it has it'd own fill cap. This is a 3 cylinder diesel. The power steering works great until all the fluid is gone. I don't see where it's leaking and I've heard it can leak into the case. I'd like to go ahead and rebuild this pump. What's the process and will I need any special tools? I see the rebuilt kits for inexpensive online. Thanks in advance for any helpful info. Yall never disappoint!.
PS I know she'd a dirty girl, she's been at work. Don't drag me lol

Last edited:
   / Ford 4500 Power Steering pump #2  
I've got a ford 4500 with a power steering pump that's disappearing all the fluid out after a few hours. If you are sitting innthe tractor it's the front left side, it has it'd own fill cap. This is a 3 cylinder diesel. The power steering works great until all the fluid is gone. I don't see where it's leaking and I've heard it can leak into the case. I'd like to go ahead and rebuild this pump. What's the process and will I need any special tools? I see the rebuilt kits for inexpensive online. Thanks in advance for any helpful info. Yall never disappoint!.
PS I know she'd a dirty girl, she's been at work. Don't drag me lol
If you are not seeing oil on the outside of the tractor then the pump must be leaking from the front seal on the pump to the motor oil. Are you seeing a increase in lube oil level?

/ Ford 4500 Power Steering pump
I thought my original post had the photo attached. I guess it did not!
20230725_081124.jpg

20230725_081129.jpg

If you are not seeing oil on the outside of the tractor then the pump must be leaking from the front seal on the pump to the motor oil. Are you seeing a increase in lube oil level?
No we aren't adding any oil in the case, it subtracts a little over time lol
I'll fill it back up see if I'm losing somewhere else. Down the line on a hose fitting or something, I probably should have started there.

Last edited:
20230726_172951.jpg
could it be from that arm? Looks like a leak to me.

/ Ford 4500 Power Steering pump #6  
No. That is essentially a manual gearbox with gear oil (which you need to check that it has gear oil).

The PS pump pressure is piped to a power assist cylinder located in the front bolster. To access, you will need to remove the radiator grill and look down in front of the radiator in the dark, greasy abyss for leaks. Chances are the linkage is sloppy, but it definitely probably needs to be greased if the steering is working decent.

No. That is essentially a manual gearbox with gear oil (which you need to check that it has gear oil).

The PS pump pressure is piped to a power assist cylinder located in the front bolster. To access, you will need to remove the radiator grill and look down in front of the radiator in the dark, greasy abyss for leaks. Chances are the linkage is sloppy, but it definitely probably needs to be greased if the steering is working decent.
Is there a fill plug or anything for it?

/ Ford 4500 Power Steering pump #8  

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230726_212446_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230726_212446_Chrome.jpg
    415 KB · Views: 28
Yes, but not always easy to get to or check the oil in it. See attached picture

80w90 or 140 works well in it
I keep a 5 gallon 80-90 for these type things! Perfect I've got a pail pump so hopefully I can get it right to that fill plug. Guess I'll ve replacing the seal at some point this winter.

/ Ford 4500 Power Steering pump #10  
Here is what you are looking at in the front of the tractor for steering mechanism

Attachments

• 4500 Steering.jpg
    4500 Steering.jpg
    360.6 KB · Views: 64