ford 3000 hydraulic fitting conversion

/ ford 3000 hydraulic fitting conversion #1  

wheelsanfun

Tractor
Hi everyone this is my first post hope I'm doing it right. I have a ford 3000, the pressure line keeps popping out of the pathetic excuse for a compression fitting at the pump. After wasting time and money getting a new kit I'm considering making my own conversion adapter as I don't believe I'll find a match for those special ford threads on the nut. Has anyone ever had any luck matching those threads to a ferrule style compression fitting or is there some already existing kit I'm not aware of? Thanks

/ ford 3000 hydraulic fitting conversion #2  
Plse post some pictures.
It will make getting advice more meaningful and useful.

Ford will not be using a weird thread.

Dave M7040

/ ford 3000 hydraulic fitting conversion
Hi Dave Thanks for the response. The reason I said weird is that i have run into some cases where Ford will use a proprietary fitting. that being said i found that a 24mm x 1.5mm pitch will fit, an sae 16 tpi actually fits the original better with my pitch gauge there is only a couple thousandths difference between it and the 1.5 so i went with the metric because the dia. measured closer to the 24 mm than it did to 15/16 diameter. can"t find a fitting for that but you can buy a tap. So 15/16-16 does exist just not in a fitting i can find. the metric worked in a little stiff but once initially fit it threaded right in. after that i used the new fitting, and a copper crush washer to seal it and adapted to the 1/2 o.d. Tubing. It's working fine now no more blowouts. still can't believe some one actually came up with that design. through research i learned that this is a fairly common issue. easier to fix than i expected.

/ ford 3000 hydraulic fitting conversion #4  
I would ask if your Ford was built in the UK. Many of that era were and then you got into Whitworth and British Standard threads. I have seem a Ford 5000 that was UK built but sold in Canada.

1960's Nuffield 465 is a UK tractor and it would seem like a UNF thread would fit but the root profile was a little different. A tap quickly changed it but then you had some fasteners British standard and some UNF.

Dave M7040

/ ford 3000 hydraulic fitting conversion
back in 1970 at least most of the tractor was built in one country or another. now you can look over a tractor and find several major components from different countries. a lot of the old internationals from overseas could be spotted from a distance just by the body style. another giveaway in the pre-. 70's tractors was the presence of a diff lock. European had it and the US not until the 70's. yeah i pulled out my old 40's hand book perused the many different threads. then realized it didn't matter what it was I had to find a diameter and pitch that would fit and be available in a fitting. the dia. and pitch of the 24mm were so close to what i had I went with it.

/ ford 3000 hydraulic fitting conversion #6  
I know this is an old thread but I am having the same problems with blow outs and was wondering if anyone has come up with a conversion where a fitting could be used and attached to a regular hydraulic hose line? Or ????

/ ford 3000 hydraulic fitting conversion #7  
I know this is an old thread but I am having the same problems with blow outs and was wondering if anyone has come up with a conversion where a fitting could be used and attached to a regular hydraulic hose line? Or ????

Could you please provide a photo. It would be a big help.

Dave M7040

/ ford 3000 hydraulic fitting conversion #8  
Mine is a 34100 I have the kits but when I try to lift a 800 lb ballast out it pops??

Attachments

• HYDRO PUMP.jpg
    HYDRO PUMP.jpg
    440.6 KB · Views: 1,743
   / ford 3000 hydraulic fitting conversion #9  
That looks like a JIC inverted nut type missing the flare on the tubing. Appears there is no means of a solid mechanical connection. Quite often the flare is doubled over to make it stronger. Double flaring tools do that. I do not believe it is any type of compression fitting. Ferrelled compression fittings will not withstand hydraulic pressures unless specifically designed for that service like "Swedgelock" makes.

Ron