Oil & Fuel Ford 1920 fuel filter mysterious spring

/ Ford 1920 fuel filter mysterious spring
That is exactly what I’ve planned with one exception I failed to mention yesterday: this issue starts when the engine temp hits about the 25% tick on the heat gauge which would mean a much easier fix (changing the sensor). My gut says that it is getting clogged in the tank though cuz foolishly during the hottest and most humid weeks of august I had the tractor in the sun and only half full of fuel. Given that I think maybe the sensor would be a waste of more money.

Are you aware of any product u can pour into an empty fuel tank to “eat up” the bacterial growth that is very likely there? In fact I know there’s something gross in there cuz if I look into the fuel tank with a light (actually only first 8” or so since there’s a bend) I see a kind of grayish slime on the tube downwards going into the tank…

Thanks again for your timely replies!
Danica

PS re the pic you originally sent re filter housing wouldn’t it be a little cleaner to shut of fuel (no bleeding later) and disconnect inlet hose letting it drain into clean receptacle which will likely be 2 5-gallon diesel cans?

/ Ford 1920 fuel filter mysterious spring #23  
Spring keeps filter pushed up.

/ Ford 1920 fuel filter mysterious spring #24  
PS re the pic you originally sent re filter housing wouldn’t it be a little cleaner to shut of fuel (no bleeding later) and disconnect inlet hose letting it drain into clean receptacle which will likely be 2 5-gallon diesel cans?
Yes , Of course. That is what I meant.I have to re-check. There is nothing you can add to the tank to solve all the built up to nothing. Chemical make the crap to coalesce in to a mass to be cleaned up and also loosen up stuff to be scraped off. what I suggested by vacuuming is the simplest and cleanest without using a chemical. You will not even dirty up your shop vac if you build a collection jar as the pic below suggests. Garden hose goes in to tank to suck up the last 1/4" deep diesel and the fat hose goes to your shop vac. This is the same as medical vacuum system used in your dentist's office.
DSC01824.JPG

Darn I was so hopeful there’d be a product that would just chemically dissolve it. The shop vac collection approach is great! What a good way not to have a stinky shop vac for the next ten years! Even so, this doesn’t seem like a cake walk. I mean you can’t see in the tank to visually confirm you got everything…only hope. Nonetheless, this looks like a viable next step.

One last thought…are you aware of a solenoid that if defective would restrict the fuel flow in this erratic fashion when it hits the right temp? I saw one (they have one elec clip at end) that someone mentioned as a possible culprit and they’re only twenty bucks on Amazon. I wish I had the repair manual in front of me and I’d tell u the proper name and SKU.
Thanks again for the new tip re shop vac. If this fail I can always go into dentistry!

/ Ford 1920 fuel filter mysterious spring #26  
My Ford 1900 was mysteriously dying after about 4 minutes of operation. After close examination I found hornets in the fuel intake. It was easy to suck them out with a long rod into the fuel tank and get them and the surrounding area clean of "junk in the tank". Not sure how they got in there but yep, bees in the tank! I cleaned the fuel bowl and filter while I was at it and she purred like a kitten after wards. The things you find in your fuel tank. Clean it out !

/ Ford 1920 fuel filter mysterious spring #27  
One last thought…are you aware of a solenoid that if defective would restrict the fuel flow in this erratic fashion when it hits the right temp? I saw one (they have one elec clip at end) that someone mentioned as a possible culprit and they’re only twenty bucks on Amazon. I wish I had the repair manual in front of me and I’d tell u the proper name and SKU.
Thanks again for the new tip re shop vac. If this fail I can always go into dentistry!
Solenoid valves on tractor and automotive usually are 12 volts and can easily be activated by a small 12 volt battery or borrwing12 volts somewhere from the tractor. Solenoids are normally open and close. If they operate then they will click and you hear a plunger move against a small spring. The plunger acts like a valve. in the tractor fuel the solenoid is normally closed (without battery juice), if you are able to open up hoses or pipes before and after that then you can manually exorcise it (open and close) while shooting WD inside with a tip nozzle. That will free and clean it up well.

OMG. I have never heard of such a crazy situation during my entire tenure on TBN. Wow, that’s one I will have to relate to some friends. In my instance I’m now very very hopeful that it’s the solenoid as the problem emerges only when the heat gauge gets to the midpoint on the scale. Thank you and hope you never have hornet problems again!

[ok this sounds very logical to me and I’m just going to order one on Amazon as another member suggested (may actually have been you). Anyway before I empty the tank and create the vacuum contraption (which is really novel) I’m going to give the ez solenoid solution a shot.

Fortunately it has been so dry here in the Catskills I don’t need to rush as nothing is growing very fast and lawns are turning and emeral *brown*!

Thanks again for advice!!!

Danica

This is probably a really dumb question but the 1920 is my backup tractor and I’m not nearly as familiar with it. I always assumed the fuel filter was gravity fed but there are two
IMG_0398.JPG
lines coming from the tank. The close one drops right down to the filter but the farther one actually goes into no man’s land (from my perspective). Is it the case the second line is just pressurized air returning back to the tank to pressurize the tank and drive the fuel up and then down to the filter???? I’d never even thought about this or noticed it and am still struggling with the strong likelihood that there is gunk at bottom of tank impeding fuel flow.

In the same vein I’ve seen a number of diesel transfer pumps on Amazon for $20 or so and was wondering if they would have the suction power to slurp up any glop/seeds/junk that may be at bottom of tank.

The presence of a woods FEL on this tractor has made accessing all of this a real PITA.

Thank you very much in advance for any info esp re how the fuel is circulated!