Oil & Fuel Ford 1920 fuel filter mysterious spring

/ Ford 1920 fuel filter mysterious spring #41  
The fuel feed line to the filter comes from the bottom of the tank (labelled B) and into the matching 'B' on the filter inlet side. The 2 lines in the top of the tank are for 1) venting/overflow of the filter and 2) diesel return line from injectors.

/ Ford 1920 fuel filter mysterious spring
The fuel feed line to the filter comes from the bottom of the tank (labelled B) and into the matching 'B' on the filter inlet side. The 2 lines in the top of the tank are for 1) venting/overflow of the filter and 2) diesel return line from injectors.

Oh jeez, dumb me! Thank you, I’m just siphoning all the old fuel out and going to put in 5gal that I just went and got minutes ago.

/ Ford 1920 fuel filter mysterious spring #43  
I also down loaded your fuel tank and other component parts.

Attachments

• Report_11801179709826509887.pdf
    106.4 KB · Views: 48
I also down loaded your fuel tank and other component parts.

Thank you so much! Well I siphoned out the old fuel and replaced with 5 gal brand new. Same problem! By now I have changed fuel filter and rings plus spring, tested with tank cap off, and am in a real quandary. It runs beautifully for 15 to20 min and then starts to act like it is fuel starved and the engine speed drops random increments over the course of 5 min at which point it dies. Next day, it starts right up but cycles thru same exacerbating die off described a week ago.

I’ve got probably 10 hours into this ridiculous issue. I guess I will have to maybe check some fuses (seems like a long shot) and perhaps a heat sensitive solenoid someone else cited as a possible culprit in another thread.

Thank you in advance for any ideas or thoughts you might have.

Danica

/ Ford 1920 fuel filter mysterious spring #45  
I think your 1920 has engine shut off solenoid. Does the engine shuts off right away when you turn the ignition key to off position? that solenoid is normally closed by action of spring internally. 12 volts with the key in on position activates the solenoid for the fuel to be pumped from injector pump to injectors. You're solenoid coil might have a break or short that causes the solenoid to loose current and it automatically goes to normal position that is closed. you can check it by a voltmeter or test line just as soon as engine dies. you need to make sure you have voltage to the solenoid. The solenoid should be between filter out let and injector pump inlet. it id worth checking. Just a typical solenoid below for comparison.

Wouldn’t you think it would instantly go back to it default (closed) position and cause an instant shutdown I.e, complete fuel cutoff? In my case the “die down” takes about 10 min of slow reduction in rpm. Further, it always happens when the engine temp gauge get to the norm (midpoint) level. Just did it 30 min ago and even tapped the solenoid ur talking about a couple times with wrench with no effect. I know that’s not the same as getting my voltmeter out and maybe that’s what I should do. The new solenoid on Amazon is more than $50 I think. Is there any other solenoid that would slowly shut down fuel delivery based on a thermostat?

Thanks for your suggestion. I REALLY don’t want this to escalate to sending it to a dealer…I’ve never done that. So far on 2 tractors there hasn’t been a problem I couldn’t fix myself. Plus it probably would cost min $300 with pickup and return!

Sorry, your link was to the same unit sitting in my out basket right now :)

/ Ford 1920 fuel filter mysterious spring #48  
Yes, I was saying if voltage is cut off for host of different reasons then it shuts off the solenid valve due to spring action. The open in theh circuit can happen when the solenoid gets hot also. Again, my link was a suggestion so you would know what the solenoid looks like. Banging on it is not a test. Get an alligator clip , remove the connector and put 12 volt on it see it clicks or not. When it clicks the winding magnetizes and pulls the solenoid plunger back in causing the fuel path to open.

Yes, I was saying if voltage is cut off for host of different reasons then it shuts off the solenid valve due to spring action. The open in theh circuit can happen when the solenoid gets hot also. Again, my link was a suggestion so you would know what the solenoid looks like. Banging on it is not a test. Get an alligator clip , remove the connector and put 12 volt on it see it clicks or not. When it clicks the winding magnetizes and pulls the solenoid plunger back in causing the fuel path to open.

Ok I had schematics for solenoid and see how it works. I will do it properly with a voltmeter on Saturday. Btw, yes when I turn key off, yes-it turns right off and Vice versa.
Danica

I think your 1920 has engine shut off solenoid. Does the engine shuts off right away when you turn the ignition key to off position? that solenoid is normally closed by action of spring internally. 12 volts with the key in on position activates the solenoid for the fuel to be pumped from injector pump to injectors. You're solenoid coil might have a break or short that causes the solenoid to loose current and it automatically goes to normal position that is closed. you can check it by a voltmeter or test line just as soon as engine dies. you need to make sure you have voltage to the solenoid. The solenoid should be between filter out let and injector pump inlet. it id worth checking. Just a typical solenoid below for comparison.

Just ordered the solenoid after monitoring voltage which became very erratic as engine started to die down erratically. Fingers crossed that was it.
Thank you again,
Danica