Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #51  
It doesn't like the heat. I have a friend who is a PhD in Bio...from SD, but lives down by Austin. He can grow a lot of stuff, but Rhubarb just doesn't work here. I've tried 3 times. Mom has a strain taken from her mom. We have grown it in other places up north, but it will not take here.

Most of NM is in zone 7 (or less). Only the panhandle of TX is zone 7. Most of the state is 8-9.

If you have extra, hook a brother up!
I’m at 6,900’ elevation, really zone 5 so that explains it. If you ever come this way, I’ll be glad to let you cut some rhubarb. And late summer the green chile harvest is something we all look forward to (chile roasters everywhere).

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #53  
Back in the 1960's a couple times a year, the family would make Brunswick Stew.

"Brunswick stew is a Southern dish that features a tomato base with beans, vegetables, and meat. Early Brunswick stews were often made with squirrel, rabbit, even opossum, but these days pork, chicken, and beef are common. The original thinking was to use local ingredients and those you have on hand, which remains the same today."

We had a slightly different twist,, take a 22LR rifle, anything that could be harvested, "meat wise", off the farm went into the stew.
Rabbit, squirrel, pheasant, venison,, probably possum and raccoon,,

The farm was about 1,600 acres,, harvesting was done in under 2 hours,,

The stew was cooked over a wood fire, the pot sat on a big steel plate.

By 2 in the afternoon, we were all enjoying the stew.

Trust me, there was no chicken, or pork, or beef,, in this stew,, it was great!!

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #54  
I love smelt, you are not saying with the guts right ? but with the head ? we split them open and cut the head and that it, fried in a pan and I eat the whole thing just like if id be a fries.
Split open and gutted smelt.

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #55  
My mother used to make some quick meals for lunch sometimes that I have never seen anyone else eat. One was saltine crackers broken up into warm milk. Another was spaghetti noodles covered with straight tomato sauce and sprinkled with sugar. I didn't particularly like either, but it was either that or nothing. I always suspected that those were Depression Era meals, and she got used to eating them.
On the other hand my mother would make some wonderful dishes (bread and rice puddings, red snapper in sauce, goulash) that I have never seen duplicated in flavor.

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today
Back in the 1960's a couple times a year, the family would make Brunswick Stew.

"Brunswick stew is a Southern dish that features a tomato base with beans, vegetables, and meat. Early Brunswick stews were often made with squirrel, rabbit, even opossum, but these days pork, chicken, and beef are common. The original thinking was to use local ingredients and those you have on hand, which remains the same today."

We had a slightly different twist,, take a 22LR rifle, anything that could be harvested, "meat wise", off the farm went into the stew.
Rabbit, squirrel, pheasant, venison,, probably possum and raccoon,,

The farm was about 1,600 acres,, harvesting was done in under 2 hours,,

The stew was cooked over a wood fire, the pot sat on a big steel plate.

By 2 in the afternoon, we were all enjoying the stew.

Trust me, there was no chicken, or pork, or beef,, in this stew,, it was great!!
I can eat Brunswick stew for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Love it

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #57  
Chicken gizzard sandwiches.

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #58  
Postum
Wheat Germ
Tongue
herring pickled and creamed
Liver - it was cheap, we had it a lot, the ketchup I used to cover the flavor probably cost more.
Buttermilk
Chicory
Aspic (yuck)
Boiled meat (see aspic)
rabbit
wild strawberry jam
Dandelion wine
pufferfish (used to catch them by using flounder rigs, 4 at a time, they don't exist in the ocean up here anymore)
Fluffernutter (my brothers favorite)
Chicken liver "pate"
Sweatbreads
Tuna casserole!

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #60  
I can eat Brunswick stew for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Love it
And,,,,,,,,,, you live only about 30 miles from where we made the stew,, (across from Claremont)
the main problem is ,,, there are no more pheasants to harvest,,, they were "stocked" and only lasted on the farm for a decade.