Folks not tying down their trash!!!!

/ Folks not tying down their trash!!!! #31  
Before retiring I was locking the business door at closing time when I looked up on the street as a guy riding by threw out a beer bottle near my mailbox. I got in the car and followed him, wrote down license number and saw where he turned in going to work.
I called police and they said that was a matter for highway department so I called them. They said unless a police officer sees it, there's nothing they can do. I said "you mean I can throw my trash down any road and it's ok?". She laughed and said as long as a policeman doesn't see it, sure.
I called the local newspaper and they did a story on it. Later that same newspaper would leave flyers in everyone's driveway. One I hit with the mower which was a mess.
I called and they sent a guy out to pick it up.

/ Folks not tying down their trash!!!! #32  
Sounds like someone was being ignorant or lazy. Littering does not have to be seen by the police. Like anything, it is just a matter of how hard you want to push. Video evidence seems to be good. Ultimately, the punishment will be so light it is probably not worth the time. Anonymously posting videos of the offender in a local forum or site might dissuade some...or might make them angry. YMMV.

/ Folks not tying down their trash!!!! #33  
I can relate. We have a transfer station in town and residents can drop off for free (with a sticker on your car). 75% of us have pick-ups. Of those, 80% correctly contain the load of trash. 20% believe that if its in the pick-up box, it can't escape. Seems like those 20% all live on my street, travel at 50 mph in a 30mph zone, and hit the dip in the road at my driveway as if it's a rally course obstacle. I have to pickup garbage on a weekly basis in my front yard. Occasionally we get large items (a shattered mirror once).

I haven't done it yet, but I want to call the cops and offer them the free use of our driveway to park and catch the speeder/litterbugs.

/ Folks not tying down their trash!!!! #34  
I was in Texas 3 weeks ago. Dallas and Austin.
Amazed by how clean you folks keep your state.
Roads in between had very little roadside trash.
Even downtown in Dallas was clean compared to Northeastern cities.
Austin was a model of how clean a city should be.

A shining example of American pride!
Highways are pretty clean across the state. Plastic grocery bags are a real problem in some areas. I’m glad to hear you got a good impression on your visit!

Sadly, Austin has become a real dump in some areas of town. They have a severe homeless problem very much like San Francisco, which the Austin city council actually tried to emulate.

There are homeless camps in the “green belts” that are really bad. Some have set up tent encampments under overpasses. It’s been a real problem for a couple years Because the city repealed a ban on camping on public property. A citizen group petitioned and won an election to reinstate the ban. But the city will not allow the police to enforce it effectively.

I‘ll get some pictures of the homeless camps in Austin.

/ Folks not tying down their trash!!!! #35  
Yeah, homeless camps are a pretty big issue around here too. Talk about trashy, jeez! Here is a few pics of a camp that was just vacated.

Attachments

• 334904011_221279500375821_3015235514507102658_n.jpg
    334904011_221279500375821_3015235514507102658_n.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 47
   / Folks not tying down their trash!!!! #38  
My property is along a Farm to Market road and I have to go down the ditches bordering my property monthly to collect trash. If I don't stay on top of it I will be collecting bags of trash and the county mowers will grind the trash that makes it hard to pick up.

I just wish other neighbors would police their ditches and collect trash.

/ Folks not tying down their trash!!!! #39  
Ain't that the truth, then again I'm the only tries to ditches and culverts flowing on my section of the road. Some sections get really bad between the bi annual county maintenance

/ Folks not tying down their trash!!!! #40  
My property is along a Farm to Market road and I have to go down the ditches bordering my property monthly to collect trash. If I don't stay on top of it I will be collecting bags of trash and the county mowers will grind the trash that makes it hard to pick up.

Trash pickup starts early so often people will put it out the night before. Yet we've all seen it; bags torn open by ravens, raccoons or Rover, or just blown out into the road. Nobody takes the time to pick it up.

I haul mine to the transfer station.