Flightradar24 Interesting Finds

/ Flightradar24 Interesting Finds #301  
Saw a gyro copter earlier today on ADS-B. First time I saw that

/ Flightradar24 Interesting Finds #302  
The ADS-B is propbably the most expensive component on that copter. Cost me north of $10K to equip and certify my Debonair a few years ago.

/ Flightradar24 Interesting Finds #303  
I have seen a couple of gyro copters along the coast. They really stand out and I have been surprised to see them. I have seen one in roughly the same area so I assume it is the same aircraft. Seen some more at different places and I wonder if it is the same gyro or different ones. Can't remember if I noticed a flight id.

Just odd to see.

Saw two NC Highway Patrol copters they other night flying in train. I see one frequently flying the same route, which I really am curious to know what they are doing, but I have never seen two together.

/ Flightradar24 Interesting Finds #305  
   / Flightradar24 Interesting Finds #307  
   / Flightradar24 Interesting Finds #309  
Been a bit busy to post but I have been watching the skies.....

There is a pattern to some activity. The USCG copters and C130's fly around training. For sure I saw them searching for someone that I don't think was a training mission since they were running a pattern off the coast. First time I have seen that happen.

Lots of tankers and C17s up all of the time with some AWACs and contract fighters. I seldom see US fighters though they might pop up for a short time before dropping off. I did see a Hawkeye pop up off the coast and head to VA. I assume there was a carrier out there somewhere and it flew back to VA for some reason.

Seeing an E6 up and about, always flying a different route is common.

Last night I saw a WB57! There are only a few of these planes flying anymore, and though they are assigned to NASA, they are obviously doing non research work. This is 927 and NASA has 926 and 928 that are supposedly down for repairs. 927 was brought back into service after 40 years in moth balls. The WB57s are supposed to be based in Johnston Space Center in Houston but they one last night flew out of Warner Robbin's south of Atlanta. NASA has some information on the planes at NASA Airborne Science Program Tracker which says, implies, the plane was doing imagery last night and tonight. Can't imagine it was taking photos of the Newport News area.... The planes, though owned by NASA have flown over the Middle East as a communication node which makes me wonder if it was doing testing of that mission over Newport News though it was flying out fairly low so maybe it was taking photos...

WB57_Dec18_2023.png

Notice the flight altitude:
WB57_50K_Dec18_2023.png

/ Flightradar24 Interesting Finds #310  
Not really much new watching the flight tracking sites but today was a bit active.

The first things I heard/saw was NOT on the tracking sites! I heard a noisy flight this morning and just thought it was a plane in the landing pattern for RDU. However, the sound was different, louder than usual, and went on for longer. I checked the tracking sites and there was nothing nearby. Hmmm... :unsure: Went outside and see nothing but I an still hear the engines. Looked on the other side of the house and saw two contrails way on up there. Two big planes flying with a decent separation and in formation. Guessing 25,000-30,00 feet. Went inside to get binoculars but the planes were too far away to really see anything.

My first guess, because of the formation and loudness, was that they were KC135s. But I see KC135s all of the time on the flight tracking sites. Saw a bunch this morning and I will post something I have not seen before. So if the planes were not KC135s, what were they? They were heading west and I wonder if they were B52s.

I have seen some C-2 Greyhounds and E-2 Hawkeyes pop up off the coast in the last couple of days and there have been plenty of tankers up and about so maybe the unknown planes were having an exercise with the navy. 🤷‍♂️