Flattening mole tunnels

/ Flattening mole tunnels #11  
Amateur!

🤣

One year we had moles pop our above ground pool liner. This was in August. I got mad and decided to start trapping them. I got 29 that fall. The following spring I started trapping as soon as I saw activity. I stopped counting at 50 each year for the next 6 years. So that's over 329 in 6.5 years, in 1 acre. Sheesh. Finally, they started to dwindle, and I only get a few each year. Haven't had to trap them for a couple years now. It was just insane.
What kind of trap do you use?

/ Flattening mole tunnels #12  
What kind of trap do you use?
I've tried them all, but came to realize that the Victor Out O Sight mole trap is hands down the best. I have 6 of them.

First, let me say that I don't enjoy killing these critters, and I don't want to see animals suffer. The Nash choker loop trap doesn't kill the mole very fast at all. I've had the moles dig themselves and the trap out of the ground and haul it across the yard. I then have to find the animal, and dispatch it to end it's suffering.

I've tried the traps with the spikes that shoot down. I've had many trips, but never found the animal. So it either missed, or the animal scurried off wounded, living or dying, I do not know.

The Out O Sight trap seems to kill them very fast. I've only found 2 moles still alive in that trap, and both of those were just pinched by the scruff of their fir and uninsured. I let them go out in the woods. The other several hundred were all dead.

The advantages of this trap are that it can be set at any depth of tunnel, not just on the surface, and, the trigger pan can be modified with a pop-rivet and canning jar lid to make it work better in sandy soils that might fall away from the narrower stock trigger.

They are also relatively inexpensive, around $10-15, although I imagine they'd go up in price as everything else. Here's some for $10.

It takes some hand strength to set them with the setting bars.

But, they work. Plain and simple.

/ Flattening mole tunnels
OP here.

Thanks all, for commenting. I think my stunt might work if the very top soil is damp but below that is firm. We've had a week or so without rain and expecting a little tomorrow. I've got R4s, and my yard is not manicured. Might even try a little down pressure on the bucket and steer with the rears if necessary. Wish me luck.