Flat Towing UTV to on property job site with tractor

/ Flat Towing UTV to on property job site with tractor #41  
Seems like a bad idea unless absolutely necessary

/ Flat Towing UTV to on property job site with tractor #42  
i just looked through our 2020 outlander manual and couldn't find anything about towing it. So I posted that very question on the can-am forum. Having said that, every ATV and UTV we used for work eventually broke in the field and was towed back in to the shop. Obviously while the gear box was in neutral. I should add that when I'm working on our 6x6 Outlander and need to move it a tad, I just put it in neutral and push it.
if you have access to the 2020 outlander op manual page 133 650/800/1000 manuals it does say in their manuals in a couple of places...(see cut/paste from manual below).
Can-am's are belt drive primary/secondary clutch set up's. (not hsts or geared)
the following is cut and past from the outlander manual. Maverick and Spyder manuals also have similar wording.
I wouldn't worry for short tows that are infrequent and low speeds especially if belt removed but wouldn't tell BRP that though if its a warranty issue. They warn us for a reason I suppose/don't know why as I am no engineer thats for sure and schooling kinda week.

NOTICE Do not tow this vehicle —
towing can seriously damage the ve-

hicle's drive system.

/ Flat Towing UTV to on property job site with tractor #43  
Per a Honda 2016 500 pioneer owner manual non cvt drivetrain. No towing except on trailer, however I assume they aren't thinking owners will build and fabricate a Ridgid tow bridle. From experience with towing other things I would not consider using a tow dolly requiring one axle on the hard and one axle in the dolly, with a sxs's 4wd system.

Attachments

• KIMG1425.JPG
    KIMG1425.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 68
   / Flat Towing UTV to on property job site with tractor #44  
I WILL be getting a UTV after the first of the year if it means I have to sell a kidney or get a second job. I think it will increase my productivity on my acreage by a big margin. Right now I have to take the slow tractor or walk the 3/4 of a mile to get from one end of my property to the next. Not the end of the world, but when on a time crunch some of the things I need to do suffer because I just physically don't have time to walk it or drive the tractor.

That brings me to my question. I work alone a lot on the property, I think LOTS of times it would be handy to have the tractor AND the UTV with me. That got me to thinking... why not make a tow bar similar to what you see behind RV's to flat tow a car. That way I can quickly hitch up the UTV behind the tractor and tow it with me rather than walk back up to get it and then have to do that all over again when I get done.

Lots of times I need to run back up to the truck or and outbuilding this would expedite that greatly. Has anyone done this or thought about it?
Why not get a small light trailer for towing the utv and be safe?

/ Flat Towing UTV to on property job site with tractor
Why not get a small light trailer for towing the utv and be safe?
Yeah, I have a small light trailer, that is definitely an option. I guess it will depend a lot on which UTV I get.

/ Flat Towing UTV to on property job site with tractor #46  
I think most ctv drives can be towed if its tranny has a neutral. Here is another post in my can-am forum. I'd not get a trailer for a 1 mile move. o_O
----------------------------------------------
In neutral, you can tow one of these Outlanders as far as you want. Will hurt nothing at all as long as the lube is good in the diffs and gearbox. I do suggest having it in 2wd when being towed. Easier to make turns.

OK new plan. What if I made a trailer receiver like this that would stick into the 2" trailer hitch receiver on back of UTV and pick it up with a ball on the 3 point. So I would basically be picking up the back half with the trailer hitch and the front half would be riding on the front wheels. Again just spitballing here, any of you naysayers like that any better? Again, tractor speed on forrest trails.
Screen Shot 2022-12-11 at 3.39.15 PM.png

/ Flat Towing UTV to on property job site with tractor #48  
OK new plan. What if I made a trailer receiver like this that would stick into the 2" trailer hitch receiver on back of UTV and pick it up with a ball on the 3 point. So I would basically be picking up the back half with the trailer hitch and the front half would be riding on the front wheels. Again just spitballing here, any of you naysayers like that any better? Again, tractor speed on forrest trails.
View attachment 774195
Seems like an interesting idea. The front wheels are just freewheeling when you are in 4WD anyway. You might want to tie off the steering wheel somehow to keep the wheels pointed straight ahead

Yeah I thought about that for the sterring wheel but it is not like I am going to be going fast enough to get any wobbles so whats the point? The only thing I could see needing the front wheels locked for is going in reverse. Doesn't seem too hard to lock those front wheels in place somehow.

/ Flat Towing UTV to on property job site with tractor #50  
Yeah I thought about that for the sterring wheel but it is not like I am going to be going fast enough to get any wobbles so whats the point? The only thing I could see needing the front wheels locked for is going in reverse. Doesn't seem too hard to lock those front wheels in place somehow.
If you don't lock it straight ahead, and the wheel turns, the ATV will not track behind your tractor. It will run off to one side. That can get inconvenient if you have narrow spots on our trail. You'd also have to be constantly looking back to check on it.

Depending on the steering geometry, it may be that the wheel will self-center. However, even if it does, I would not want to count on it. Rough terrain or an obstacle could knock it out of line, causing the ATV to swing to one side or the other.